Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wallets - Samsung v Google

(Topic created on: 24-09-2023 09:28 AM)
redsunset2022
Voyager
Options
Hi. I use Samsung Wallet for passwords and really wish I could stick with it for tap & pay too. Each time i try it, I always end up reverting back to Google. 
Using Samsung Wallet to pay seems so clunky in comparison. Even when my phone is unlocked, I have to swipe up to call the app, then fumble around with a fingerprint unlock before I can pay. 
Can I pay without opening the app, and surely if my phone is unlocked, I have already authenticated myself?
Maybe it's the way I've configured Samsung Wallet but if I'm at the home screen, Google Wallet generally won't ask me to reauthenticate or open the app, and another advantage is I can even make minor payments without unlocking my phone. 
If I'm missing something, any advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
AndrewL
Options

@redsunset2022: It is necessary to launch Samsung Wallet in order to make a contactless payment, I'm afraid. Your current approach of swiping up from your Home screen or Lock screen should give you quick and easy access to the app, however you may also wish to head to Settings > Advanced features > Side key > Double press > Open app > Tap the cog to the right > Samsung Wallet, for another means of quickly accessing the app. 

Furthermore, please head to Settings > Connections > NFC & contactless payments > Contactless payments > Samsung Wallet (tap to select) > Pay with currently open app > On. 

redsunset2022
Voyager
Options
Thank you @AndrewL for these suggestions. I hope these points more closely mimic the functionality of Google Wallet and look forward to trying them with Samsung Wallet.

I didn't know you could configure the phone's side key to open Wallet, although bizarrely I have set my Galaxy Watch's home button to open Google Pay when double clicked, which is super convenient.
0 Likes
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
For me I have just programmed the power button so that with 2 clicks it opens samsung pay and then press the finger print scanner and bang its done. Fairly easy to me. I don't like how on Google wallet it's just open and you don't have to authenticate.
redsunset2022
Voyager
Options
It's certainly a bit slicker using the double-click shortcut and I'm going to see how I get on with it.
As an aside, one thing I've just read about the Watch is that you can hold down the back (bottom) button to open Samsung Wallet.
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
Yea that's true I do that on the watch as well. I tend to wip out my phone to pay though don't know why its just like a habit