Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the S22 Ultra Middle East version (Snapdragon) in the UK

(Topic created on: 01-07-2022 12:57 AM)
Christina123
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I'm looking to purchase the #S22Ultra in Dubai (Middle East version - #snapdragon); I'll be using the device, mainly in the UK.

Has anyone tried this before and has anyone had any issues with this?

Ideally I'd like to ensure there's no regional blocks (so I can use the device for whatsapp/messenger calls) and the UK sim card works fine with no issues.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Payment apps and banking apps may not work, also getting updates from Samsung for Android won't be easy. There's region restrictions in place for both of these things.
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I have imported phones before.
Software updates are linked to imei numbers which will be region based. So Software updates will be from where you purchased the device.
Also to be aware that sometimes some new features in Software updates are region specific.
So you may not get a new feature in the country you reside as they didn't get that feature there. Equally they may get a regional feature devices here won't get.
Samsung Pay I didn't get to work on my imported phones either as it needs a sim card from that region.

Otherwise the phones worked OK with my social media etc

One more thing is warranty probably won't be covered and you may not be able to trade in the phone.
Although my Korean Note 9 I was able to trade in to Samsung

Check the network bands as well, as they maybe different and you may not get a 5G signal for example
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

And there's the warranty issue!

Christina123
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for the feedback, that was really useful.
Yes, I also have a Korean note9 (the 1 I'm looking to upgrade) - imported.

I'm trying to find if anyone has actually picked up a UAE snapdragon S22 ultra and used it in the UK. All the issues you've raised are valid (5G, Samsung Pay, updates etc.). It just helps to know if anyone has actually done it and we get 1st hand experience/feedback.

It's frustrating because I much prefer the Snapdragon option (for various reasons).

It seems unreasonable of Samsung to ask its clients to pay a substantial amount for a device that has a better version offered in different regions.
0 Likes
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
Also remember there is the band issue, meaning that you might not be able to get 5g in the UK. Samsung Snapdragon devices from the USA don't get 5G in the UK because they use different bands to the UK. No Samsung Pay, Warranty issue's, regional problems. I have had the snapdragon versions of the S21 and S22 Ultra devices from the USA and they all experienced these issues.
0 Likes
Christina123
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Yes, thanks for confirming.  I've read there are 5G accessibility issues with getting the US snapdragon and using it in the UK. That's why I'm looking at S22 Ultra, Snapdragon Middle East.

I've read somewhere it is better to import the HK version into the UK. Not sure what the difference between HK and Middle East would be though.

0 Likes
TechZilla
Troubleshooter
Options
A reliable seller I have used on many occasions would probably know the answer in detail. The website is called Wonda Mobile and he sells snapdragon Samsung devices. I hope this helps you and you mark this comment as solved.