Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Android 7

(Topic created on: 22-06-2021 11:30 AM)
Johnfused
First Poster
Options

Can I upgrade (from Android 5..) to 7 on a Galaxy S4? 

Thanks.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
APARMAR
Troubleshooter
Options
You can use a custom rom to do so and there are tutorials everywhere on youtube.
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
You need to know the exact model before attempting to flash any third party ROM. This is the list of S4 variants for example LineageOS has (in amongst all Samsung devices) https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/#samsung
Johnfused
First Poster
Options

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. 'ROM'? Obviously  you're not talking about the CD ROM, so I don't know what this is. I've come across it on one of those websites you mention. But I thought this was a Samsung product I had and they were responsible. Maybe the software on it is not their responsibility. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Johnfused
First Poster
Options

Thank you. I have no idea what you're talking about. This is like buying a car and having to become a mechanic to get it to work. But I'll click the link; that I do understand. 

Bye.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Consider the LineageOS wiki the Haynes Manual then :winking-face:
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Johnfused : For clarity, it isn't possible to update your Galaxy S4 to Android 7 officially, as the latest available version is Android 5.0.1. While it is possible to install an unofficial version from a third party source as advised above, please be aware that this may lead to performance and compatibility issues. 

0 Likes
Johnfused
First Poster
Options

Thanks for replying. Cars I can repair, though most people take them to a garage. I still fail to understand why I seem to be the only person who is still driving around in this old (5 yr old) banger. 

0 Likes
Johnfused
First Poster
Options

"For clarity.." 

Spot on -- that is clear. So Samsung not only no longer support this model, they don't even tell you! What a wonderful company.

Btw, I'm here because I've received a notice reminding me that I've received replies, and  saying that I HAVE TO mark one of them as a solution!! Well done Samsung, what a load of ***** you are. But I imagine the competition is just as bad. Maybe I'll try to find out how Apple treats its customers. Thank you for the clarification and honesty.

0 Likes