Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Switch Outlook syncing stopped working

(Topic created on: 23-03-2022 10:29 AM)
Suzyq
Apprentice
Options

I have used Smart Switch on a monthly basis for 2 years to sync my Outlook contacts and Calendar from my laptop to my Samsung S10+.smartphone

Since the last Samsung update on my phone last week, the sync is failing.

I've uninstalled Smart Switch on both laptop and S10 phone with no success.

Has anyone else experienced this recent problem or can suggest a fix.

Thank you

24 REPLIES 24
Tim70
Journeyman
Options

MMRB I wasn't able to find a download for the one you suggested, but have found 3 other versions all of which worked for syn, (2 better than the one), but all failed to backup when it reached saved e-mail.  SS just dropped out at that point after, from what I could tell, backing up all the other items properly. I tried clearing cache on phone, but made no difference.  It is the backup & the calendar syn that I have the interest in. 

It is frustrating as you mention SS not being able  to distinguish the later entries & having to individually mark which item is to take preference (I have difficulty at times in seeing any differences between the 2 items being put up!) I just stipulate that one is to take precedence at all times which is not really a satisfactory solution.   Cheers  

0 Likes
gco
Journeyman
Options

I have hit this problem: following an update to 4.2.22022_4 the contacts sync fine and the calendar data for outlook and the phone seems to be loaded but then it just drops out without performing the calendar sync. I tried to go back to before the update using windows system restore but that hangs when restoring the registry. I am completely reliant on SS to maintain the calendar on my phone so now I am very worried. I really hope this gets fixed.

gco
Journeyman
Options

Hooray: I found a copy of version 4.2.21111.5 here:

https://filehippo.com/download_samsung-smart-switch/post_download/

I have stashed a copy of the download so I know I can revert to a version that works when another new version comes along.

Tim70
Journeyman
Options

gco, Tks for ref to version 4.2.21111.5 . I downloaded it & found that it worked for both syn & backup.  In syn may still stop due to encountering an error, but I just syn again & it either goes right through or it flags Outlook & Galaxy Note  8 not matching & which do I want to use.  Anyway that is what it was doing before I had the ver 4.2.22022.4 update which didn't allow a syn at all.  Also before it was entering a new identical appointment in some instances (seemed to be associated with an appointment coming up as overdue & if I dismissed it just entered it again (identically),  I think each time that I synced going back to Oct), hence with some entries I had up to 23 identical entries (appointments). Bottom line is that I still have some difficulties with SS but I can at least get it to syn & backup & it is no worse & perhaps better than what occurred after the ver 4.2.22022.4 download.  I apologize for what appears above as confusion as to what has happened ,  that is because I am confused. I appreciate the advice that has been given.

Cheers 

0 Likes
gco
Journeyman
Options

Glad it works for you, Tim70. I recommend that you keep a copy of the downloaded installation file for version 4.2.2111.5 so that if and when you try another SS update (to something other than 4.2.22022.4) you can downgrade again if the problem comes back. What you say about choosing between calendar entries in outlook or on the phone mirrors my experience: when the sync log is cleared (which happens when you uninstall SS) the next time it syncs it compares the detail of very entry and sometimes spots small differences that aren't picked up in a standard sync. I don't use reminders so I haven't experienced your multiple copies problem. All the best.

0 Likes
gco
Journeyman
Options

The problem seems to have been fixed in version 4.2.22032.14 - I've just tested it and it works ok.

0 Likes
Tim70
Journeyman
Options

Tks GCO.   I updated to ver 4.2.22032.14 but it still went to virtually 100% sync & then flagged an error & stopped.  I then hit syn again & it did what it has been doing in past & states a conflict, asking which to use (Galaxy Note 8 or Outlook). I hit Outlook again, it then flagged some calendar entries & noted them as being overdue which I dismissed.  It seems again to have duplicated these  entries into the calendars of both Galaxy Note 8 & Outlook.  I tried the backup which appears to have worked (although I haven't checked if the  Backup contains the double entries, which I suspect it would as it would simply be backing up from Galaxy which after the syn has the double entries).  The issue becomes that ea time I syn, it adds yet another entry to whatever it has flagged.  I have gone through both Gal & Outlook & deleted one of the duplicate entries & they then appear to be removed (only a single entry remains in future syn), but it looks as though it will continue to flag new "overdue entries" & duplicate them ea time I syn, necessitating manual deletion or else I end up with multiple entries of the same item.

0 Likes
MMRB
Journeyman
Options

It is the most infuriating software.  For goodness sake Samsung sort this nonsense out . The sync conflicts and duplication are just dreadful programming.  Fix this 

gco
Journeyman
Options

I'm afraid I can't help much with overdue items as I don't use tasks or reminders: I find them irritating.

I have in the past used the following method to sort out recurring duplication problems: 1. take a backup of your outlook pst file (a simple copy of the file will do). 2. delete everything you sync from outlook. 3. sync the phone with outlook. This should delete everything from your phone. 4. Check the phone for any rogue entries that haven't been deleted and delete them. 4. restore everything you deleted into outlook from the outlook pst file backup. (Open the backup pst file in outlook, copy the entries you deleted into the live folders and close the backup copy.) 5. sync outlook with the phone using the "initialise the syncing log" option switched on. This will take a bit longer than usual as it has to do everything from scratch, but it should give you a clean set of matching entries on both sides. 

[You can probably use the archive/backup options in outlook to do this, but I find taking a copy of the pst file gives me more confidence that if things go completely wrong I can revert to where I started by replacing the live pst file with the copy.]

I don't know if this will help in your case, but it's worth a try.

This assumes that you are using outlook stand-alone. If you are running an exchange server or similar the process may need to be adapted.

0 Likes
gco
Journeyman
Options

Now another version: 4.3.22044.1

This one has a new PC user interface. It also fails to sync: contacts are ok, but once it gets to 90% calendar it just disappears and checking the calendars the most recent additions on the phone haven't been replicated to outlook. I will have to black list this version and wait for another!

I don't know if Samsung monitor this forum, but if so can someone please get this fixed (again)!

0 Likes