Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Pay in Ireland 2020

(Topic created on: 04-09-2020 06:15 PM)
Duckofdeath
Explorer
Options

It's now 2020, half a decade since Samsung announced Samsung Pay is coming to Ireland. 

Can someone at Samsung make an effort pushing this up to some decision maker?

If you'd buy a Samsung smart watch you can't use any sort of mobile payment service. If you buy a cheap Chinese brand you get mobile payment with Google Pay.  Why should I replace my Galaxy Watch Active with a Samsung alternative when those are my options? 

32 REPLIES 32
SharSh
Apprentice
Options

Its just about time to face the truth,

Wether the reason is

- samsung is not making an effort or asking for high incentives, too small of a market to care etc..

- all banks in ireland, germany, netherlands, austria etc.. are all refusing samsung pay, which is hard to beleive

Whatever the reason is,

Face the hard fact that samsung pay is not coming to Ireland.

Buy something else as will I.

Members_a4PAlNk
Student
Options

Just to add to the discussion: Google Pay does not work in Ireland on Wear OS. It's blocked by Google by your location.

So if you travel to a country that supports Google Pay on Wear OS (UK or Spain for example) it will work fine. But when you come back to Ireland it stops working again. There's a workaround for that by using proxy server from a country that is supported by watch Google Pay payments, but with free proxies it breaks Assistant.

So there's no reason for Samsung to bring Samsung Pay to its watches in Ireland, because there's no alternative in Android ecosystem.

0 Likes
kpc1
Apprentice
Options

I used Samsung Pay successfully in West Cork today, using Curve, and associating Revolut with the latter, on Gear S3 Frontier watch. 

0 Likes
riccol1966
Student
Options

Hi kpc1, I'm trying to get Samsung pay working on a Samsung watch using a non Samsung phone (as you may already  know  you don't have to have a Samsung phone in order to use a Samsung watch, as the NFC payment process is done on the watch itself). So  can I ask you please... . 

a) do you have a Samsung phone ? 

b) did you need to add the curve card details manually and if so did you use your own Irish address ? 

c) any other specific details you can remember doing to get this enabled? 

The reason I ask is that there are numerous issues with curve and Samsung pay. As far as I am aware at this point in time curve is only supported *officially* on Samsung pay in the UK. What's interesting is that some users in other European countries have been able to get curve working with Samsung pay (looking at the curve user forums) but it's a bit hit and miss. I myself have a curve card and have been unable to add it manually to the Samsung gear app, as it says the card is not supported. This gets even more interesting when I look at the card number - from that I have identified the BIN of the card indicates a UK card!  So curve themselves must have some other identifier for EU customers which flags the card as unsupported by Samsung pay at this time. I'm hopeful this will change, it may be that curve themselves will be the enabler for Samsung pay here, in the same way they have enabled Irish users to use Google pay even when some banks are stuck in the dark ages and refuse to support, such as Permanent TSB, EBS, and until very recently BOI. Thanks. 

0 Likes
kpc1
Apprentice
Options

Hi riccol1966,

In answer to your questions:

(a) Yes Galaxy S10, but I agree that it need not necessarily be a Samsung;

(b) Yes I entered the Curve card number manually on the watch;

(c) The first card I received did not work, but some calls to Curve support solved this: it was the BIN which was the issue, and a helpful person spotted this and issued a new card which worked! I can use either Revolut or Bank of Ireland debit card with the Curve card. I imagine that it will will take ages (or never) before the Irish banks will allow their cards use Samsung Pay, so Curve seems to be the way to go. 

Best of luck with your efforts! 

0 Likes
Ant2020
First Poster
Options

I just bought the new Watch3, arrived today, and was totally pissed to find out I can't use it to pay with NFC in Ireland.

This was one of my must haves in a watch along side all the other health stuff.

I knew it didn't support Google Pay but my mistake for assuming that Samsung Pay would work.

I will be returning this Watch now. Maybe if more people returned these watches after shoddy advertisement Samsung will get their act together.

I will use my refund to buy a considerably cheaper watch that at least has Google Pay. 

Thanks for nothing Samsung.

Cheers,

Ant.

0 Likes
Members_0Rb5RGz
First Poster
Options

I've tried to add my revolut card its not the banks 

0 Likes
josep1
First Poster
Options

i used Samsung note i have bought every version and love the phone , as i like the large screen format i purchase a Samsung watch well  over year ago still and still no service for Samsung pay, this year when my contract  is up i moving to apple as Samsung has no interest in sorting this for ireland , I am aware that this issue is with the banks as much as Samsung ,  but apple pay works fine so when enough people quit buying there phones they might think it is a good idea to provide a better service. 

0 Likes
Members_eoUiRLJ
First Poster
Options

I got Samsung Active 2 as a gift for my bday. Ordered Curve card to try and solve it. I'm located in Ireland, was so happy with it and idea of paying by watch, but...

0 Likes
Members_a4PAlNk
Student
Options

Google pay on Wear OS watches is also not available in Ireland - looks like no one gives a s**** about Irish people 😐

0 Likes