Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health permissions

(Topic created on: 11-06-2021 02:36 PM)
DaveLorde
Explorer
Options
When I open my Health app, it says the privacy notice has been updated and displays a 'Continue' button. When I press it I get a message "To use this feature, you need to allow permission in settings", but it doesn't say what permission it needs...

What new permissions does the app need?
33 REPLIES 33
KimSchulz
First Poster
Options

Have you considered that it is actually more than a step counter app? it contains a lot of personal and private health info if you use it fully and this needs to be secured and the app needs to 100% be able to verify that you is actually who you claim to be.

0 Likes
Pip63
Apprentice
Options

I allowed all & it still wouldn’t go through so deleted & re-installed. 😔

0 Likes
Bob1999
First Poster
Options

You can pass this to people who have the real power in your company. We users are tired of your forced granular tracking every ***** day under the guise of "features" Well son I am here to tell you the real reason is tracking to sell our personal info to the scum of the earth information brokers, look them people it will scare the hell out you the granular detail they maintain on us.

So here it is there is no technical reason to need tracking all the time when I do not use your app. Don't give me anything about steps all modern phone's have a gyroscope more accurate than gps for steps.  Our phones can pull that data from towers alone under my control of when I open the app to update it and now you have taken that and forced this to accept tracking all the time. Not gonna happen ever and on to Apple for the rest of my life at least they respect users privacy over the bottom dollar and they will be rewarded with my hard earned money. Goodbye Samsung. Oh and I bet when i turn that tracking on all the time magically when I go near a Samsung store my phone will start shoving adds at me.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/12/19/21011527/retail-tracking-apps-wifi-bluetooth-facebook-ads

KimSchulz
First Poster
Options

You do know that you can select that permissions only apply when the app is running right? and it is not samsung requiring permission from you to access the gyroscope - this is a built in android mechanism from Google. Every app needs to ask for these permissions in order to get access to any of these sensors - gps, gyroscope, temperature, etc. 

Apple does require the same permissions and do the same sort of tracking. Look it up if you dont believe me. 

0 Likes
Pip63
Apprentice
Options

I did find that even allowing/disallowing all permissions didn’t work for me. I tried both but kept getting the same message.  I had certain ones set before the update anyway so why  alter now or require different? I thought, perhaps, that it was just a case of reading the privacy notice but that made no difference. So, in the end, I had to uninstall the App altogether and then re-install it.  So I have it back but have lost previous data which is a shame but no big deal for me. I am not an every day tracker anyway but if I was, it would have been annoying.

0 Likes
picmifar
First Poster
Options
Uverejnit
0 Likes
kevin in Atlanta
Journeyman
Options

Apparently in Korea Samsung has a God like cult status, is very arrogant,   and they feel no need to be sensitive to their customers.  In the USA they abuse us and treat us as *****.  They provide no instructions. And we allow it.

Samsung notes they also changed from a useful program to be more complex,  so I now use Standard notes which can be viewed on desktop--and automatically synchronizes beautifully, , but if Samsung had not changed things I would have stayed with their inferior program.

0 Likes
OlatheSunflower
Student
Options

Exactly.  I don't like giving blanket permissions.

0 Likes
Members_AVvmND4
Student
Options

Hello kiranova,

I completely agree with you!

May I ask if you have found a suitable replacement app? I've been hunting but there are so may to choose from that I'd appreciate your thoughts - the thoughts of somebody in the same situation.

My very best wishes,

Scott

Members_AVvmND4
Student
Options

Hi Richie,

Just as I have said to 'kiranova' above, "I completely agree with you!"

My message continued and I'd like to ask you the same question;

May I ask if you have found a suitable replacement app? I've been hunting but there are so may to choose from that I'd appreciate your thoughts - the thoughts of somebody in the same situation.

My very best wishes,

Scott

0 Likes