Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health Overnight Battery Drain

(Topic created on: 18-08-2022 07:44 AM)
battdrain
First Poster
Options

Hi everyone! 

I noticed that Samsung Health is draining an insane amount of battery on my phone (Pixel 6 Pro) overnight. I've attached the screenshots--strangely enough, it seems to drain a normal amount of battery during the day, and then it starts draining upwards of 20% of battery every two hours! I don't have sleep tracking turned on and I have a Galaxy Watch, but I disconnect it at night. Is there a reason for this insane battery drain? I'll go to bed on a full battery and wake up with less than 50% left. 

I use Samsung Health, so ideally I wouldn't have to uninstall it. I like that it tracks my steps and other stuff (and I think it's the best fitness app for the watch), but there shouldn't be any reason why it's draining so much battery when the phone is just sitting on my bedside table.

Thanks for all the help!12AM usage. Pretty normal.12AM usage. Pretty normal.2AM usage. Still pretty normal, I went to bed at 3.2AM usage. Still pretty normal, I went to bed at 3.4AM usage suddenly goes up by a ton.4AM usage suddenly goes up by a ton.6AM usage very high still.6AM usage very high still.8AM (I woke up at 10AM) very high usage.8AM (I woke up at 10AM) very high usage.

20 REPLIES 20
John_Cowell
Student
Options

I'm seeing the exact same thing (Galaxy watch 4 on a pixel 6 pro). I'd updated the firmware to android 13 and have been noticing it since then. 

Now using at least 20% per day compared to 4% previously. 

Howgie
First Poster
Options

Hi there. I have the exact same issue with Samsung health on my pixel 6 pro. I am also running the latest Android 13 beta version. I also have a galaxy watch 4 which i don't wear at night. It is only sitting on the charger.

The app is draining the battery constantly and the phone barely goes into sleep mode at night.

Screenshot_20220819-091726.png

Rahul Deshpande
First Poster
Options

Same problem for on Pixel 6a. Just recently got this phone and noticed that. Even when I restricted background usage it didn't help.

MonoB
Apprentice
Options

Same on my end. Using a Pixel 6 Pro (albeit still on Android 12) and a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic. Samsung Health suddenly drains about 15 to 20% battery off my phone in 16 hours of mostly being in standby. It used to be less than 5%. 

This battery drain thing began a few days ago, I'm guessing after I installed the latest update to Samsung Health (dated August 5th 2022, version 6.22.1.053), so I guess I will be reverting to an older version of the Samsung Health app until Samsung fixes the issue. 

John_Cowell
Student
Options
I've managed to resolve this. After the update to android 13, the health app seemed to allow itself permission to the physical activity setting. By disabling this (as I already track it on the watch), battery usage seems to have returned to normal. The setting seems to keep the app live in the background to pressumably track steps though motion etc. Juts disallow the setting and this seems to work
MonoB
Apprentice
Options

Good catch! This should help a lot of people. 

Unfortunately I need the physical activity setting enabled on the phone as well as on the watch, because the watch will not reliably track steps taken when walking while pushing for example a lawn mower, grocery cart or baby stroller. Seems like since your arm is not moving all that much when doing any of the above, the watch fails to reliably track the steps taken. 

I reverted back to the June 27th version of the app instead, through apkmirror.com, which seems to be working perfectly (including activity tracking). Hopefully Samsung will address this issue sooner rather than later, but knowing Samsung it might take a while. 

Jessimano
Student
Options

Samsung health has been crushing my battery in the last 4-5 days. Not sure if it's because they released their new watches. It's not even background usage, it's just constantly running even though I restricted it's use. 

Screenshot_20220822-181358.png

MichaelBrock
First Poster
Options

I'm having the exact same issue.  I have had the Galaxy 4 for 3 or 4 months and it hasn't been an issue.  The last few days my phone, a Pixel 6a, has been draining much faster than usual.  In the last 24 hours Samsung Health has accounted for 23% of my total battery usage.    I'm still on android 12 and I haven't recently made any changes to either the app or the watch settings.   I do not wear the watch at night and so Sleep analysis is not on (but the drainage is consistent across the day).   Last night for every hour after taking off the watch Samsung Health account for 42% of the battery usage.

I do not have the phone itself configured to log steps, etc. (I don't even see that it is an option in the app).

MonoB
Apprentice
Options

Update: The June 27th version had other issues (it never gave med a sleep score for my sleep tracking) so I reverted back to the June 2nd version instead, which seems to work. 

The June 2nd version has version number 6.22.0.069 if anyone else wants to revert to avoid the battery drain. 

Also: the latest Samsung Health version dated August 21st with version number 6.22.2.007 still has the same battery drain issue as the previous version dated August 12th and August 5th.