Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health GPX import

(Topic created on: 29-03-2020 11:00 AM)
Budovi
Student
Options

Hi,

I started using Samsung Health and I'm liking it so far. I'm missing one feature -- GPX import into activities.

For hiking and biking I use a 3rd party application (Locus Map). I can record my activity directly in Locus which provides a more convenient interface. I get that it is not realistic to implement sync from whatever application users ask, but most of the apps (ironically including Samsung Health) provide a GPX export (and possibly other formats). This is no different for Locus, but I'm unable to import this file into Samsung Health.

I think it would be a great addition for those who want to use Samsung Health as their primary wellness tracker.

In the meantime, is there a workaround? Can Samsung Health sync with other application(s) / service(s) that provide GPX import (possibly Strava)? It wouldn't be exactly convenient, but still way better than a manual log.

I've found another 3rd party application that seems to be able to import GPX files into Samsung Health directly, but their (nonexistent) privacy policy and intrusive permissions are keeping me from using it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

9 REPLIES 9
mntr86
Explorer
Options

Dear, I have the same request. I'm use locus for hike and at the moment I'M using Sync my tracks to sync Health account with Strava and poalr account. The problem is that samsung health import wotking correctly only for activity without gpx file.

m4tthall
Explorer
Options

Did anyone find an answer to this one? 

0 Likes
Adelantado
First Poster
Options

Seems Samsung doesn't read this, and they doesn't want to hear their users.

I have the same request. It is very strange and disappointing that somebody in Samsung decides how exactly people should use their application for which people paid money. It's a pity, but then the only value from the Samsung Health application is to use it as a sleep and walking tracker.

FunkyNerd
First Poster
Options

Yes - nailed it.  Storage (internal or SD card) > Android > data > com.sec.andre...d.app.shealth > files - drop your .GPX file in there.

Then follow the  Samsung instructions here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX0XOsZcnaA

However, for some bizarre reason, the ability to add route-target is only available via the Cycle activity.

Once you have loaded the .GPX into Samsung Health, it seems to disappear from the file location (no idea why).

So, if you're a cyclist wanting to use a pre-defined route, there's your fix.

If, like me, you want to just want to load up a couch to 5 k, it looks like you have to map it as a workout in Samsung Health first (i.e walk / run the route first, whilst a work out is running in Samsung Health) before you can reference it again.

Hope that helps folks.

Honduras1
First Poster
Options

@Budovi wrote:

Hi,

I started using Samsung Health and I'm liking it so far. I'm missing one feature -- GPX import into activities.

For hiking and biking I use a 3rd party application (Locus Map). I can record my activity directly in Locus which provides a more convenient interface. I get that it is not realistic to implement sync from whatever application users ask, but most of the apps (ironically including Samsung Health) provide a GPX export (and possibly other formats). This is no different for Locus, but I'm unable to import this file into Samsung Health.

I think it would be a great addition for those who want to use Samsung Health as their primary wellness tracker.

In the meantime, is there a workaround? Can Samsung Health sync with other application(s) / service(s) that provide GPX import (possibly Strava)? It wouldn't be exactly convenient, but still way better than a manual log.

I've found another 3rd party application that seems to be able to import GPX files into Samsung Health directly, but their (nonexistent) privacy policy and intrusive permissions are keeping me from using it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Likes
mntr86
Explorer
Options

Dear,

I have the same problem. I use Locus Map for trekking, mtb and running. Instead I use samsung health for gym, tennis and other activities. Actually I use Sync my tracks (android)  to sync Health account with Polar.and Strava. Polar flow for me is the best sport calendar including all the main sport activities, on this account I have all my sport hystory, gpx path, etc... from 2009. Locus allow you to export session and gpx path on Strava, the you need a Strava account to collecr all your activities on a single platform. if you have an other solutions please let me know!

0 Likes
iamdarren
Pioneer
Options

i have found you can import to map my run/ride  and then have it auto sync into samsung health once this is connected.  its not ideal but as a workaround it works for me

0 Likes
BjornCph
First Poster
Options

Export your gpx file from wherever and copy it over to your phone at this location:
\Phone\Android\data\com.sec.android.app.shealth\files

On my phone its on the phones storage and not the SD card.

Then go to whatever sport you want to do, like - cycling.
Select Route Target.

In the top right corner, click the three dots to open the menu.

Click Routes.

In the top right corner there is an Import button, click it - and the gpx file you copied over is now available.

The easiest though is probably to run, bike or whatever, the route you want - plot it into google maps and have that guide you through it while Samsung Health is running.

After ending your exercise - go to Samsung Health, see the exercise you just did or find it in todays activites.

At the bottom of the page with all the stats and the map there is a "Add to routes" button - do that and you won't have to bother with the above solution of copying gpx files over and so on as when doing so, sometimes it can't figure out the correct route you want to go anyway.

LesDeplorable
First Poster
Options

This worked for me.  I exported a GPX from Strava and then copied it into this folder.  There is obviously a S Health Java process that monitors this folder and automatically imports the activity.

It is not straightforward but is easy once you understand it.