Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Free updated to Samsung News now can't use it

(Topic created on: 09-11-2023 08:27 AM)
nick66uk
First Poster
Options

Strange one. I am from the UK and have an unlocked S22 bought directly from Samsung UK. When I was in the US and on a local Wifi network I got an apps need updating notification from the Galaxy Store. Thought nothing of it and tapped update. Icon changed to Samsung News, but I rarely if ever use it so didn't think anything of it. Now if I try to open the app I get the message that it isn't available in my country. A bit of research tells me it's US only so I went back to the Galaxy Store to reinstall Samsung Free but the store just tells me it's already installed and if i tap open it takes me to Samsung News which then can't open. Version number of Samsung News on my phone is higher than the latest Samsung Free update in the store. What has happened and what can I do to fix it? 

3 REPLIES 3
smg1
Helping Hand
Options
I think the only way could be to do a complete phone reset. To bring your phone back to when you bought it.

This highlights the fact you don't have full control over software on your phone and all phone software, like apps, are the same. This can depend on your location in the world.
keith30
Mastermind
Options
Yes it's a US version that you've updated your device. I updated my Galaxy Store yesterday and I am in the UK with a S22ultra unlocked device. Mine is still Samsung Free . You'll probably need to reset your device if you want to use the app.
code72
Explorer
Options

Just go to Settings-Apps-SystemApps and in Samsung News uninstall all updates