Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Email app update security settings

(Topic created on: 05-02-2023 05:03 PM)
MDTat
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I've been using the Samsung Email app for a few months without any problems. However, today, I couldn't access my university email without activating some new security settings. This involves allowing the app to delete all data on my phone, lock the screen, set password rules, disable internet, encrypt my data, etc. These are all very intrusive things, and since it's my personal phone I can't accept this.

I contacted the university IT support, and they say it's the email app itself that requests this, not the university. I as therefore wondering if anyone else have similar problems, and is there a fix, other than using a different app, or setting everything up again from scratch?

Thank you!

19 REPLIES 19
MDTat
Apprentice
Options

Hi, thanks for the info. I agree with you, it's the Samsung app itself that's being pathetic. When I had a closer look at the app info on Google Play, I realised the latest version required some (very intrusive) permissions that other email apps didn't require. Personally I don't like the Outlook design, so I moved to Gmail, and it gets the job done without any hiccups.

Karyn15
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue! 

0 Likes
Stew1954
First Poster
Options

For some time now the Samsung email app when it updates on my TabA stops working. When I role it back to the original app it works fine. I've switched off the Google auto update but even that doesn't stop the app from automatically updating from time to time. So I uninstall the update and reset my email accounts. Samsung can you just fix the app for the TabA it's getting very very annoying.

0 Likes
FabriceJC
First Poster
Options

Just found out the problem and the solution.

The problem: Samsung password update and new account creation from the email client is faulty

The solution: clear the account data and if necessary previously accepted security setting from Exchange server then go to setting, account and from there add back your Exchange account. 

0 Likes
AJL44
First Poster
Options

Same issue for me with 2 Samsung phones. Started 12/20/20.  Provider IT got my email to work by selecting None for security.  The issue now is no security to server. No shopping from phone!

0 Likes
Members_rCannp9
First Poster
Options

No problem with server security on my side.

Did you check the solution I proposed?

0 Likes
Members_Y1mwXiR
First Poster
Options

I am trying to set up an additional email account (office 365 mail) and I'm getting the same message. There is a lot of bold lettering and it is very assertive in its messaging. I was so disgusted with the level of control it was trying to take that I clicked the uninstall button for the admin app. It has uninstalled my Samsung email altogether,  all the email accounts linked to it. I only thought i was uninstalling an Admin App that had just been downloaded, there was no warning or check to confirm that I was also deleting my emails. Its just gone. 

I cannot see how legally a third party can demand that much access over my devices. Its like buying a new car, but giving the manufacturer permission to pick it up at any time and put it in the crusher! Its not reasonable. Surely its an infringement of all sorts of security and privacy laws?

0 Likes
MP27
First Poster
Options

Same.

Years ago I had this issue. I wanted to sync my Outlook Calendar (work stuff) with my Samsung Calendar app so I could see all my events in one place (this should be AUTOMATIC on ANY smartphone), but it's way more difficult than it seems.

I first tried syncing the Outlook email through the Samsung email app. That was when I was prompted to "Apply Security Update?" that could take over your phone. Ridiculous, so I tried it a different way.  

I had luck when I added the Outlook Email to my phone through the Samsung Calendar app itself. I could now sync and see all my events in one place. I would use the Samsung Calendar to see ALL of my schedules and I'd use the Outlook Email app to view/send my work emails, which I didn't mind because it kept my work and personal emails in two separate places. This functionality lasted a few years and it worked well and made sense for me. 

It seems that my luck has runout, however, and I think it might have something to do with a security update that I installed a few days ago (Feb. 23, 2022) from Samsung.

Since installing, I noticed that my Outlook (work) events were not showing on my Samsung Calendar any longer.  I assumed that somehow I toggled it off, but then realized that the email address associated with the account wasn't listed among the accounts that my Samsung Calendar had access to.

I tried re-adding it, and that's when the "Apply Security Update" notification popped again up and I can't get around it no matter what I try.

It's disappointing to say the least. Something that worked for years is now unavailable.  I hate to say it, because I dislike the 'sameness' of Apple products, but in this case, I think the simplicity and reliability of how Apple works makes sense.

The ability to view all events/accounts in ONE calendar app on a smartphone in 2022 shouldn't even be the slightest of issues. I've wasted a lot of time unsuccessfully troubleshooting something that should just BE.

0 Likes
Africanelephant
Journeyman
Options
Today out of the blue samsung email will not send emails, it reports email or password wrong or settings. I've had to remove it and download the app again ,it's working now but the settings are completely different, any idea why this has happened?
I've now also turned off the ability for the app to alter settings
0 Likes
Maurodaniel1992
First Poster
Options

Pregunta 

0 Likes