Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Calendar App & Outlook.com Calendar issue

(Topic created on: 27-08-2019 08:06 PM)
JDC1701
Apprentice
Options

Hi, I quite like the samsung email and calendar apps  but I'm being forced to use the outlook app for one reason... the calendar! I added my outlook calendar  and found I cannot actually edit any of the entries... if I create an entry on my S10 tor Tab-A I am able to go back in and edit it, if I go onto outlook.com and edit that entry then go back on my phone a bit later it seems to become read only and i cannot edit it!!

Now I have also tried to download another app (nine) that would allow me to sync and add my calendar to the samsung calendar app and found I was able to edit it no bother... so it appears there is an issue with the Exchange Sync with the email app that seems to be having a knock on effect to the calendar... anyone else found this/got a solution??

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
Some-dude
Navigator
Options

Also after testing some apps I found OneCalendar works really well:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=biz.codespark.xcalendarapp

It's free and editing items is not a problem. It's not bad looking either, but unfortunately not as pretty as the Samsung calendar. But what's pretty if it doesn't work, right?

0 Likes
GCrane1982
Apprentice
Options

Same issue here. Has been ongoing for a couple of years now. Reverted to using google calendar which doesn't have any issues with shared calendars

0 Likes
Some-dude
Navigator
Options

That is so weird, because for me it started since I have my s10e. About a year ago when I still had my S8 I never experienced this problem. I think it started during an update this last year. Anyways, it is still super annoying since I use my calendar all the time. There are alternatives, but none of them look very good...I like the layout and design of the Samsung Calendar.

0 Likes
HelloLudger
Journeyman
Options

I have the same problem, I am pretty sure it worked just a few days ago... 

This is really a deal breaker and a shame, I would really prefer to use the s calendar...

0 Likes
Some-dude
Navigator
Options

I know, it's super annoying. I'm not entirely sure when it started in my case. Around the same time the last big oneUI arrived my company started using office365 instead of 'normal' outlook exchange. I'm not sure what that changed from a technical point of view, but for every calendar item I make I am an invitee instead of the organizer. I've tried other apps like OneCalendar which is free and works like charm. However it's not comparable to the Samsung calendar in design and features.

Apart from this I started to have quite a few other gripes with this phone, like a compass that needs to be calibrated every 5 minutes when I use a navigation app (literally). Also the quick share menu had become a total mess since one of the updates. Not cool.

I've kind of let go of the idea that Samsung is going to fix this. 

0 Likes
GCrane1982
Apprentice
Options
This is still an ongoing issue and I agree that I don't think Samsung is going to fix this any time soon.

I think the issue lies in the server connection type that the Samsung Mail/Calendar app is using to connect to outlook.com accounts. I have set up AquaMail which used the Exchange Web Server protocol which works flawlessly, where I think the Samsung apps are using the old ActiveSync protocol which has limitation with outlook.com account.

Surely Samsung could update their apps to support this however if they haven't done it as yet I don't think they ever will.

In the mean time I am using Samsung Mail to sync my email and contacts and the AquaMail app to sync my calendar.
0 Likes
Some-dude
Navigator
Options

There's been a Samsung calendar update recently, but no fix for this issue unfortunately.

I have OneCalendar as a backup calendar now, which also has no problem with editing office365 calendar items. only thing that keeps me from always using it (or any other app) instead of the Samsung app is the UI design (although OneCalendar isn't horrible). The Samsung app is by far the best looking. All the other apps have ugly layouts, fonts, icons, colors, spacings, etc. I'm extremely fussy about these things (professional deformation I guess :-)). I also like the dynamic (active) date icon of the Samsung app.

If this hadn't been an issue for me I would have switched long time ago already.

Kayak50
First Poster
Options

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

I have spent HOURS trying to fix this problem. My Outlook calendar entries sync to my phone but not the other way but with this app it works great. I don't know why the tech people at Microsoft don't know of this fix

0 Likes
Some-dude
Navigator
Options

Cool, glad it works out for you! Happy syncing 😁

0 Likes
GCrane1982
Apprentice
Options

The outlook app from Microsoft can now sync calendar events into the default calendar app. 

0 Likes