Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S10 email resizing to 10% providing poor quality image

(Topic created on: 03-11-2020 03:49 AM)
easybrowser
Explorer
Options

I bought a Samsung S10 in early August and had been using an S7 before that. Whenever I pick-up cheques from our office, I take pictures of them and email them to our admin department with 10% resizing.

Right off the bat, I noticed that the quality of these resized pictures wasn't nearly as good from the S10 as they were from the S7.

Doing further experimenting, I can see that the full size pictures on the S10 are higher quality than those on the S7 and the same applies to pictures resized to 30% from each.

Yet, the 10% resized ones from the S10 are relatively poor quality and, in some cases, we can't read the information on the resized cheque pictures very well.

I'm wondering first off if anybody else has noticed this and, after that, if there are any solutions to it.

6 REPLIES 6
IbzAbz
First Poster
Options
I was in a very similar situation to you I've had a old Samsung which was a S8 and leveled up to a S10+ WOO.

I've noticed the same issues and thought the camera isn't that good in some ways. But sometimes it's just been me and I haven't looked at the actual camera and it's not really in a good enough state to take amazing photos cause of my fingers being on the cameras and leaving marks that need to be cleaned 😂😂.

As well as this I've realised that the angle and the lighting of the shots have a huge impact on the actual quality of the shots the actual cameras take.

Maybe you can try changing a few small things like: the angle of your phone, the lighting of the cheques or whatever pics you're taking, the background and just things which could make the quality of the photo not good enough to get the details you need in them photos??

I've tried these and they've worked for me so hopefully they do so for you! 😁🙌🏼
0 Likes
easybrowser
Explorer
Options

Thanks for that feedback IbzAbz. I do always take this pictures of the cheques on a bit of an angle because I don't want them to be flipped sideways. I just tried taking the picture looking straight down at the cheque and, as expected, it did get flipped sideways. I then sent it to myself with 10% resizing and the quality is still really bad compared with what I get when doing the same with my S7.

0 Likes
easybrowser
Explorer
Options

I'll mention that I tried to use some picture resizing apps and one of them called "Image Size - Photo Recizer" seemed to produce very nice quality when resizing to 1080x810 - which seemed to produce a file that was about the same size as the 10% ones from my S7 and my S10. Yet, it used really odd naming for the file as seen below relative to what the S7 and S10 do:

S10 native email:

20201102_133917_resized.jpg

This app:

IMG_02112020_134013_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

I tried some others which were more user friendly than this program and generated file names that I liked better but none that produced as good of quality which was actually even better than what my S7 does.

0 Likes
easybrowser
Explorer
Options

Acutally, I'd tried it both at 1080x1080 and 1080x810 and that was the file name of the 1080x1080 one but the 1080x810 one had a similar file name.

0 Likes
easybrowser
Explorer
Options

I see I'm talking to myself here. That's OK.

I've done some further testing and determined that if I take a picture of a document on either an S7 or S8 and email it with resizing to 10%, it looks good and what I was used to with my S7. In this case, I also borrowed my brother's S8 and gave it a try.

By "looks good", I mean it looks better than when I do the same thing with my S10. This might seem like a frivolous problem but, as mentioned, I often take pictures of cheques and resize them to 10% when emailing them to our admin department.

And yes, I could resize them to 30% instead. Yet, does this seem like progress. I buy a fancy new and improved S10 and it doesn't work as well as either the S7 or S8 do?

The other thing I tried is storing the full sized picture from the S10 on my S7 then emailing it with resizing to 10% and, in that case, the resized picture looked crappy.

I  also tried storing the full sized picture from the S7 on the S10 then emailing it with resizing to 10% and, in that case, the resized picture looked good.

The point here is that it is the camera itself on the S10 that has the quality problem, not the resizing function.

0 Likes
easybrowser
Explorer
Options

I also just sent a post about my other big S10 problem with a link of:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s10e-s10-s10-s10-5g/missing-email-folders/td-p/1297317

The problem here is that many of my imap folders on our office email server can't be seen in Samsung email on my S10.

I didn't have this problem on my S7 nor do I have that problem with several alternate email systems I tried on my S10 (gmail, Outlook and BlueMail).

Samsung support said I should take my phone in for repair after doing a factory install. I knew they didn't know what they were talking about.

The sum total of these two problems have been making me really question if I would recommend an S10 to anybody.

0 Likes