Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Re: Using NFC with the flip cover closed on a S21 Ultra

(Topic created on: 24-03-2021 11:47 AM)
PGB99
Apprentice
Options

I understand the comment about security using NFC for payments, but I think it should be possible to give an app permission to access the NFC functionality with the flip cover closed, on a app by app basis.

I agree any payment app like Samsung Pay, Google Pay etc should be able to stop the NFC if the flip is closed, but I also think other "benign" apps that use NFC should have the choice. There are more and more uses of NFC all the time.

My Golf clubs have an NFC tag attached to each one, and they individually are "paired" with the App, so it knows what club I am using and from where (using GPS), it is a real pain to have to take the phone out of my pocket, open the flip cover, unlock it just to tap a tag on the back.

Please take another look at this and let me know your thoughts.

Regards, Paul
0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
No no, i think you've misunderstood.
When you pay with nfc, the scanner is on the terminal, scanning your phone.
But when you're tracking golf clubs, the scanner is on your phone, scanning the clubs.

It is this difference that is key, because when you scan a golf club, your phone is receiving data from the club via an nfc tag. Now this tag can be programmed with all sorts of data, such as addresses, executables, website links, and of course, text files like which golf club your using. That information can be malicious, which makes nfc a vulnerability if someone can walk passed while your phone is in your pocket and just touch their own nfc tag to your phone and infect it with a malicious file.

Whereas with paying with nfc, your phone isn't doing the scanning, it isn't reading any tags, there is communication, but it isn't performing a standard tag read like with your clubs, or like pairing with a printer or smart tv, which the nfc tags on them.
0 Likes
Solution
PGB99
Apprentice
Options

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply. I am going to accept as a solution, but I am thinking this is just the way is it designed. I will continue to work with the App developer to see if there is anything else they can do from their end.

0 Likes
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Youve accepted your own reply as a solution
0 Likes