Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone transfer?

(Topic created on: 29-03-2021 02:39 PM)
Ogben812
Pioneer
Options

I'm getting closer to replacing my Galaxy S7 with another Samsung phone and just wondering the best way to go about the transfer. I use Google for photos/videos and backup and an SD card for local storage.

Should I (can I?) use the Samsung transfer App for just App's and let the data look after itself? What do I do with the SD card? I'm a bit confused about the best way to be honest.

Thanks for any advice.

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewL
Options

@Ogben812: Hi there. If you're looking to transfer from your S7 to another Samsung phone then I recommend doing so via a Samsung and Google account backup, and via the Smart Switch app. For the account backups, head to Settings > Cloud and Accounts > Backup and Restore > Samsung Account > Backup Data > Select All > Backup. Do the same for your Google account, and register both accounts to your new device. For all other data, please download Smart Switch on both devices, open it on your S7 and follow the on screen prompts. It's nice to have an SD card backup, however it does depend on which device you're moving to as to whether it will be supported, so the steps above should cover the bases. I hope this helps. 

Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
Smart switch is pretty good and can basically take care of everything, all your apps, settings, messages, files, photos, videos, contacts etc, and just to top it off, when you sign into Google or Samsung on your new phone, it should have a backup to restore contacts, texts, and stuff like that too.

Just move the SD card over, don't need to use it to transfer anything. I've always done it this way, hence why im upto 32k photos on my phones local storage, its about 10yrs of moving from phone to phone with complete transfers each time 😂
Ogben812
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the replies. So the SD card, which has all my photo's on it and automatically uploads to Google, can simply be moved across to the new phone. At what stage and in what order do I configure the new phone to use Google and the SD card for photos? Sorry if I'm over thinking this but its the detail that I need to understand.

0 Likes