Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onedrive won't sync on a mobile hotspot

(Topic created on: 05-02-2021 10:24 AM)
alanw0
Apprentice
Options

Having noticed that my photos hadn't backed up to Onedrive for a few days I opened my sync settings to be told that Samsung Cloud had to be updated or it wouldn't happen (ie. it hadn't warned me or auto updated, just stopped doing it until I checked!).

Now it tells me that I cannot backup while on a Mobile Hotspot. Given that this is how my home Wifi is set up I cannot now continue backing up to Onedrive. How can I get around this? 

Is this a Samsung Cloud thing? Can I bypass it and just use Onedrive as I did before (and was perfectly happy using)?

😡

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Are you saying all of the devices in your home access the Internet through your phone? Even if that is the case you can still turn off the hotspot on your phone.
0 Likes
alanw0
Apprentice
Options

All the devices in my home access the internet through a phone but not the one that I have the problem with. The phone that provides the hotspot for everything has infinite data, my Samsung does not.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
There's a number of threads about this issue on Microsoft website, with no real answers. My guess would be that MS are treating this as a metered connection which doesn't work on One Drive. The did this because people ended up eating a lot of data. Some also had issues with syncing office. I couldn't find any solutions, sorry. I think mobile data directly from the Samsung is perhaps your only option.
alanw0
Apprentice
Options

Ah OK, thanks. I had assumed Samsung issue as coincided with the update. MS issue is a bit more concerning as that will effect my PC and my wife's phone as well 🙄

0 Likes
alanw0
Apprentice
Options

Update - having looked at the issues on MS site I changed the settings of the Wifi connection on my phone to "Treat as unmetered" from "Automatically detect" - this seems to have done the trick now...

One Drive Photo sync
First Poster
Options

this Morning i am having this issue and checked the automatically detect setting..it is ON. 

Any other thoughts??? 

0 Likes