Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mediacraze Scam in Samsung Store Ad

(Topic created on: 28-02-2023 06:19 PM)
ywlai918
First Poster
Options

I bought a new Samsung phone and yesterday I have to download, from the Samsung Store, a Smart Transfer to the new phone.  During the download process there is a link - which was eventually found to be an advertisement link said "Authorise now" - to Mediacraze.  I thought "Authorise now" was to be taking me to start the transfer but it led me to subscribing to a service by inputting card details for confirming account.  One pound was now taken from me.  Can Samsung Store do something to stop this ad appearing in its Samsung Store?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
I have and use Samsung Smart Switch mobile app and at no point has it ever asked me to enter any credit/debit card details (why on earth would it). Can you provide the exact name of the app you used so we can avoid it please.
0 Likes
ywlai918
First Poster
Options

Hello @Robin999 I can now describe a little bit in more details.  My old phone (which already has Smart Transfer) told me to download "Smart Transfer" in my new phone.  When I searched "Smart Transfer" in new phone, the first app coming up is "Smart Switch: Transfer Copy All Data" which I have been tricked to download.  (The second in search results is the genuine "Smart Switch").  Hence the action Samsung may need to take is to remove that "Smart Switch: Transfer Copy All Data" which would lead people to the Mediacraze scam.

0 Likes
Robin999
Big Cheese
Options
I don't understand how you were 'tricked' into downloading an app. It's your choice to click on it and you should really be checking the name of the developer and any reviews before commiting yourself. I believe the app you chose to download is written by Renfen Yuan and consequently nothing to do with the official Samsung app. Sorry mate but you need to be more careful in future.
0 Likes
sallyane
First Poster
Options
Yes it's a scam.. just happened to me too after I had a new phone. My bank is on it
0 Likes