Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worthy buying a 5G phone when the networks are still 4G?

(Topic created on: 04-10-2023 10:09 AM)
Hamamiti1
Journeyman
Options

Is it worthy buying a 5G phone when the networks are still 4G? I live in a big town in UK. One day when I was having network problems I accidentally came across information confirming that the networks were all 4G. I then checked thoroughly and this information was confirmed.

9 REPLIES 9
inwardnoise
Navigator
Options
Hi,

I work for one of the major 4 UK networks and this statement is half true. All the big 4 are investing millions into the 5G infrastructure and have been for the last 24-36 months, 5G has been a slower roll out due to lock down and also equipment used for example alot of networks invested in Huawei 5G equipment but with the ban on Huawei and the UK government siding with the ban alot of 5G nodes and mast were de commissioned and the equipment swapped with other 5G providers hence a slower roll out. Why most networks use 4G now as there standard service 5G is truly on the rise and will eventually become the industry standard. Some networks do charge for a 5G service which I find odd as my network has always given it for free and currently has a 70% UK coverage, it's definitely worth investing now as you will benefit imo. Also a note that by the end of 2024 most networks 3G infrastructure will be shut off which means a 3G/4G (LTE) handset will solely rely on the 4G bands of signal as it will have nothing as a back up. A 5G phone will run all bands of 5G/4G+/LTE/4G signal. Hope this helps.
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Most new phones have 5G hardware
Depending on where you are
2G and 3G services are now starting to get shut down as more 5G services are enabled
So it's worth investing in a 5G enabled device for future
If you have no 5G in your area. You can always turn off the 5G until such time you have it available
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Can check 5G availability   here, whist not universal  a number of networks have launched 5G,EE/3  have greater coverage.

https://5g.co.uk/coverage/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
UK has 5g already.. you need to check with your provider.

Also you need a 5g sim and 5g phone ( most flagships have it).

And most importantly if you have good coverage.

5g is only good if you are downloading stuff otherwise it's not really required.
AlexLdn
Voyager
Options
I think it is something to consider, even if now where you live 5g isn't deployed everywhere. If you keep your phone for a long time (2/3 years) before changing I think you should buy a 5g one so at least if it becomes available you can enjoy it straight away without changing hardware again. Deployment can be quick
Davybluenose
Apprentice
Options
They are about to bring out 6g too and ive never had 5g *****
keith30
Maestro
Options
Mine is 5G, don't know where you are but in North East it is and even
now that we are seeing 3G is being switched off with 6G coming soon.
AshtabS9Ultra
Mastermind
Options
It all depends on whether your bothered about 5g 4g is perfectly fine and fast and will be available for years to come. All 5g brings is faster speeds (sometimes) I like to have the best of the best so I have a 5g phone and plan but if your not really bothered then a 4g phone is fine
inwardnoise
Navigator
Options
6G deployment is around 4-6 years away so nothing even close yet I'm afraid.
0 Likes