Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to upgrade a S5 galaxy (sm-900F) which has the kitkat operating system to the newer Marshmallow firmware.

(Topic created on: 10-01-2021 06:23 PM)
Dellboy-swanley
First Poster
Options

I need the phone to support Android ver 6, but the current loaded kitkat O/S only seems to support software up to Android 5. Is it possible to upgrade the device to support Marshmallow which is Android 6. Any advice if this can be done and how would be most useful.

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You can update using Smart Switch on your pc.
0 Likes
Dellboy-swanley
First Poster
Options

Hi pugs1957, thanks for the reply, but am i missing something re smartswitch ?

I have smartswitch loaded on my laptop and I have the S5 connected via USB. Using smartswitch I have done a backup which seemed to work fine. I then used smartswitch to request an update, however this option reports back saying its up to current spec and shows what is loaded on the phone (KitKat & android ver 5) Am I missing some option that forces it to flush the phone with the latest operating system ? OR is there something  / feature in the phone that stops it loading above KitKat & android 5 ?

interestingly I have another S5 G900F which appears to have all the latest s/w loaded which it updates as & when over the air, This phone runs android 6 and as such it supports Google home, which is where I am trying to get too with the other Galaxy S5 G900F

If you have any steps on how to achieve an upgrade to Marshmallow & android 6, then please drop me a detailed response. OR if it can't be done, then let me know.

Many thanks,

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Can you go into settings, about phone, software and let me know your baseband version?
0 Likes
Dellboy-swanley
First Poster
Options

Hi Pugs1957

The baseband on the phone that does not want to upgrade is G900FXXU1B0C7

The phone that has upgraded is baseband G900FXXU1CQK3

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Thanks for the info. I have done some research and it seems like the firmware cannot be upgraded without some meddling as the update is too big for the phone. See EE Firmware too large for Galaxy S5 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

for a solution.

0 Likes
Dellboy-swanley
First Poster
Options

Thanks, really appreciate this info. I think I will give up on the meddling it looks too complicated for me.

Will have to relent and treat the wife to a new phone !!

cheers.

0 Likes