Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geo tag on Samsung android returns nearby addresses NOT co-ordinates

(Topic created on: 17-05-2023 03:20 PM)
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

Hi, i have an issue where by the current building regulations in the UK require photo evidence which is tagged with geo location. However when the location service is called upon rather than return precise location details of the phone (ie the blue dot in the light blue circle) the result it returns is the closest residential address to the phone. New buildings are not registered at the point the data is required so the returned results are not accurate. Is there a way of forcing my android phone to only return the phone's precise location rather than suggesting where it thinks i might be. I have stood in the middle of a field and while the blue dot clearly indicates my exact position the returned result is 100's of yards away.

11 REPLIES 11
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

thanks for the reply, firstly the following path you refer to "Apps > Camera > Permissions, and with 'Use precise location'"  does not exist on my J6.

I have taken a photo again and yes i can get the GPS co-ordinates using google photos. The problem is that the camera does not link the pictures to my precise location it places me into the closest business or residential address. I have back checked this by googling the co-ordinates.

Regarding accuracy i know when i take a picture that my location service is working because the blue dot positions me right at my desk. the camera app however refuses to accept my position. By way of example i attach a screen shot to justify this. The blue dot is my position (so location services is working) the camera suggests i am in an address 1/4 of a mile away (red dropped pin).

This does not happen on my iphone but it does happen on all of our company samsung phones. We have tried a Sony android and it does not happen on the sony. This is a fundamental background issue with samsung.

Screenshot_20230522-120049_SafetyCulture - iAuditor.jpg

0 Likes
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

by way of addendum to the above i have tried an alternative camera app and it does the same. It places me randomly in a nearby address rather than where i am stood

0 Likes