Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geo tag on Samsung android returns nearby addresses NOT co-ordinates

(Topic created on: 17-05-2023 04:43 PM)
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

Hi, i have an issue where by the current building regulations in the UK require photo evidence which is tagged with geo location. However when the location service is called upon rather than return precise location details of the phone (ie the blue dot in the light blue circle) the result it returns is the closest residential address to the phone. New buildings are not registered at the point the data is required so the returned results are not accurate. Is there a way of forcing my android phone to only return the phone's precise location rather than suggesting where it thinks i might be. I have stood in the middle of a field and while the blue dot clearly indicates my exact position the returned result is 100's of yards away.

11 REPLIES 11
Neo001
Legend
Options

Have a look at this video - explains how to get the coordinates.

https://youtu.be/iaVt0w1GWeQ

0 Likes
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

thanks. this shows how to get co-ordinates from a dropped pin. I need the location tag on a photo taken using the phone. I have just taken a picture using my phone and while the phone is capable of knowing exactly where i am, the location tagged to the picture indicates i am in a pub across the road!!

0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

I see your point. The address points to the nearest street/building. I am not sure if there is a way to show exact /actual coordinates instead of an address.

0 Likes
keith30
Maestro
Options
That's Google for you, it's not accurate. It always shows I'm in the street across the road from where I live which is totally different to the picture of my house address.
0 Likes
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

The UK government goes live with part L of the Building regulations on 14th June. in this they make it legislation that evidence photographs MUST have accurate geolocation data tagged to the picture.

I don't know how to do this if it is impossible and yet i have to by law!!

0 Likes
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

does any one have any ideas on this???

It is definitely a samsung issue. i have repeated the same steps using a sony phone and the sony locates me and returns GPS co-ordinates showing me the very spot i stand on. the samsung phone places me in a business 1/4 of a mile away.

In addition i have e-mailed myself the photos from the sony and from the samsung and the GPS is listed perfectly on the sony picture. the photo taken by the samsung doesnot even have a field in the metadata to show any GPS position, wrong or otherwise.

On the samsung when i open google maps it finds me and shows me as a blue dot in a pale blue circle. when i move around it follows me so i know the GPS is working. When i take a picture it just randomly sticks me somewhere else

0 Likes
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

does anyone have any solution for this??

0 Likes
MickeyLove
Apprentice
Options

does anyone from Samsung read this board. Are there any moderators who can reply to this please??????????????????????

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi @MickeyLove

Having tried it on my UK S10, I can confirm that the native Gallery app doesn’t have the GPS coordinate info – and there’s no way of getting at it. But the Google Photos app does display the GPS info... if all the right settings are in place. (At least for me.)

Assuming all of your location settings are set to maximum accuracy; and you’ve got ‘Location’ enabled in Apps > Camera > Permissions, and with 'Use precise location' enabled in the 'Location permission'; and you’ve got ‘Location tags’ enabled in Camera > Settings (cogwheel) > Location tags; then the Google Photos app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos&hl=en_GB&gl=US if it isn’t on your phone) should display the GPS coordinates of a selected photo in the 3 dot (More) menu in Location underneath the generated map.

With all of that, that map still puts me about 10-15 metres away from my exact location though, so unsure if it'll be as accurate as you're needing in this instance.