Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing a workout with the Samsung Health App (Android)

(Topic created on: 05-01-2021 08:27 PM)
GREGGPLU
Journeyman
Options

I was hoping to use my Galaxy Watch Active 2 to track a kayaking workout. Unfortunately, it isn't one of the workout options on the watch. After searching for a way to track kayaking, I read a recommendation to set the watch to bicycling, and then it would use GPS to track the distance and the watch would track duration, etc. Then, after using the bicycling option, the recommender said to use the Samsung Health app to edit the workout from bicycling to kayaking, which is one of the workout types listed with the app. I tried doing this but there doesn't seem to be a way to edit workouts.

Can someone explain how to change a completed workout from bicycling to kayaking?

Thanks,

Gregg

44 REPLIES 44
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hi @GREGGPLU ,

Unfortunately, you can't edit one specific exercise but you can delete it entirely and then add previous exercise data manually. To do this you will need to follow these steps:

1. From the Samsung Health home screen scroll down to the 'exercise' tab/block. 

2. Tab this and you will enter the 'Select exercise page'.

3. Scroll and select the type of exercise you would like to log. 

4. The exercise page will now open (as if to start a new session). 

5. In the top right corner is the menu (3 vertical dots). Click this and select 'Enter Data'

6. This will now allow you to add the time/date of your workout plus duration. Hit Save. 

GREGGPLU
Journeyman
Options
That's too bad that I can't just use the data from cycling. Part of the fun of having a smartwatch to track activities is the way it shows your route and duration (in addition to heart rate, calories burned, etc.). This isn't something you can enter manually. That's why I was hopeful that the suggestion to track my kayaking as cycling and then editing afterward would work. It's too bad that some people make suggestions before they know if it will actually work.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Samsung Health cannot and is not intended to do everything.

Endomondo is a dedicated sports tracker, intended for social sharing & competing with others, it has kayaking as one of the sports.
I don't know how it works with a smart watch, or how well Samsung Health syncs with it (EDIT: it doesn't), but please let us know in case you give it a try?

If privacy is a concern and social sharing is not important, existing tracks can be exported as .GPX files from Samsung Health and imported to GpsPrune for further editing.
It requires a computer with Java:
https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/index.html

- It's nerdy software with lots of options, perfect for a rainy day.

-- Hans

0 Likes
GREGGPLU
Journeyman
Options

@Anonymous User wrote:

Samsung Health cannot and is not intended to do everything.

Endomondo is a dedicated sports tracker, intended for social sharing & competing with others, it has kayaking as one of the sports.
I don't know how it works with a smart watch, or how well Samsung Health syncs with it (EDIT: it doesn't), but please let us know in case you give it a try?

If privacy is a concern and social sharing is not important, existing tracks can be exported as .GPX files from Samsung Health and imported to GpsPrune for further editing.
It requires a computer with Java:
https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/index.html

- It's nerdy software with lots of options, perfect for a rainy day.

-- Hans

The Samsung Health Android app does list kayaking as one of the sports it will track. Unfortunately, it's not one of the choices listed on the watch's version of Samsung Health. I'm a swimmer and have been using the Samsung Health app and my watch to track my workouts. It works pretty well but since I haven't been able to swim since the current pandemic has shut down all the pools in our area, I have been substituting swimming workouts with kayaking.

I probably won't try Endomondo if it doesn't work on my Samsung Galaxy Active 2 watch. An app on my phone isn't very useful either, because I never take my phone with me when I go kayaking. It's a workout and I can get pretty wet and my phone isn't waterproof.

Thanks anyhow.

0 Likes
IslGirl
First Poster
Options

I'm have to enter my kickboxing class manually and am unable to do it under Other.  All I get from the vertical dots is delete.  Please advise.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Ecoangel
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue when I try to look for a way to mannualy enter a workout after clicking the exercise box in the app and the long ellipses it only gives me the option of deleting past workouts. Anyone that can help with this would be greatly appreciated 😊

0 Likes
Ladybird
Student
Options

Why is not possible to edit one specific exercise? This is not acceptable.

TapioK
First Poster
Options

Not sure what happened, but I'm not able to edit exercise anymore on Samsung Health Mobile app... I used to use walking/running for my cross country skiing, and then using app edit to edit the exercise type to skiing - but no that's not working anymore...

So you've probably 'updated' Samsung Health, are you making these worse all the time or what the h...  I'm really disappointed to your support. Won't update to new Samsung Watch if support is like this all the time... next time have to go for real sportstracker / sport monitor instead of this s...

GREGGPLU
Journeyman
Options

I gave up on Samsung a while ago and purchased the Swim 2 from Garmin. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my Garmin. It's not as sexy and feature-rich (smartwatch gadgets, etc.), but as a fitness tracker, it's much better. Mine doesn't support as many activities on the watch, because it's targeted to swimmers, but I can always edit the activities with their Garmin Connect app on my smartphone or computer. For example, I don't have a kayaking app on my watch, so I can set it to run or bike and edit it later on my smartphone. For cross country skiing I can do the same with run or bike. My 'Swim 2' doesn't sense the altitude, so it doesn't have a hiking mode. So for hikes, I set it to run, and then it gets the elevation from GPS, which isn't as accurate as the altitude sensor (whatever it's called). All that functionality is available in their slightly more expensive watches, but those aren't as good for swimming.