Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual SIM for a contact group

(Topic created on: 24-03-2021 08:12 AM)
ppsg
Student
Options

Starting from scratch, I imported 600+ contacts. Depending on the contact, I want to assign SIM 1 or SIM2. More or less I want to separate my work and personal contacts, SIM1 is personal, SIM2 is work.

The only way I found in Samsung was to go to each contact individually, and to choose the SIM in the contact details, then save the contact. For 600+ contacts this would take more than a full day.

I then had the idea to use groups: Group 1 is personal contacts, Group 2 is work contacts. When I select all contacts in a group, I was hoping I could find a way to mass-assign SIM 1 to all contacts in the group. However the only option when selecting several contacts, is to delete all contacts, there does not seem to be a way to mass-assign properties to several contacts at once.

I am using Android 11 on a M31 phone. 

I then turned to apps, but could not find one that would do what I want. "Multi Sim Selector" app offers a sort of workaround, where you can set a rule to assign a specific SIM to a group on the fly, when you dial a number, but it is not an ideal workaround. I want to hard-code the SIM number for each contact, and to do it by selecting several contacts at once.

There must be a way to achieve this natively in the System settings, and the native Samsung contacts app. Any idea how to?

4 REPLIES 4
Shazzkid
Troubleshooter
Options
I believe you can export contacts en masse, like if you were trying to share them with someone via Bluetooth or email etc... You may be able to use that to select a group of contacts, and send them to yourself, then when you download them you should be able to choose where to save the contacts, ie sim 1, sim 2, Google account, Samsung account, Phone internal memory
0 Likes
ppsg
Student
Options

Thanks @Shazzkid

My ask is different. Indeed you describe correctly how to move a bunch of contacts to different locations (phone, SIM 1, SIM 2) and sync with the cloud. This is standard procedure.

What I am trying to do is to assign a SIM to call for several contacts in a row. This is irrespective of where the contact is stored (SIM 1, SIM2, phone). An extreme case is that a contact is located on SIM 2 for example, but you can set it up to be called with SIM 1. Doing that is straight forward, just edit the SIM-to-use for calling this contact, from within the contact's details. It is called "call with ..." just under every contact. It opens a window called "SIM for calls" and you can select SIM1, SIM2, or Default SIM. All calls to this contact will go through the selected SIM. My problem is that I have 600+ contacts, and I cannot set this property for each and every contact manually (it would take hours), I am looking for a way to mass-assign the call-SIM number to a bunch of contacts, for example contacts in a group.

0 Likes
Members_vHadpYf
Student
Options

The only native way I found to define what SIM to use for more than one contact at a time is to select multiple contacts in the contact app and then press the three dots in the lower right corner and then select SIM for calls and then choose which SIM to use. See attached image. Sadly it doesn't work for the search result in contacts otherwise one could have 

You may want to check out this app and see if it works for your device. "Dual Sim Selector / Multi Sim Selector" by Steffen Strübe. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steffen_b.multisimselector

Screenshot_20210928-093900_Phone.jpg

lwizard
Apprentice
Options

I found a way to do it. open Contacts (the standalone app). here you can create a custom filter with the groups you want, apply it, select all, three dots and change default sim!