Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual App WhatsApp media folder is deleted on Samsung Galaxy A31

(Topic created on: 17-06-2021 09:58 AM)
Sumz A31G
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I am facing the issue from 2,3 days. Dual WhatsApp media folders are deleted from storage. I cannot find the media files. My data of many GBs is lost. Tried reinstalling the whatsApp altogether. Please provide me a solution to restore my account and its media folders.

@Samsung.

13 REPLIES 13
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Try
Close WhatsApp on your phone and clear cache to make sure the app is not running in the background.

Open your phone's native file manager and go to WhatsApp > Media.

Now, move the content in the Media folder to Android > Media > com.whatsapp > WhatsApp > Media. Please note that you just need to move the content of the media folder and not the entire folder.

You are also required to wait until all of the content gets moved to the destination folder. Then, open the WhatsApp app.

If that doesn't work you will need to contact WhatsApp for support.

In the future it would be a good idea to back up your phone regularly.
0 Likes
Sumz A31G
Apprentice
Options

It's not a working solution. There's no folder of dual app whatsapp. No use of copying media of primary WhatsApp folder. Also it didn't work.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

In that case you will need to contact Whatsapp for support. They are aware of problems with the app according to posts I've seen on different sites.

Best of luck!

Ravenxdream
Student
Options

Same problem. Sucks as hell, no pictures, no videos, no folder.... no other solution as to reinstall the app EVERY TIME you get a picture and want to save it.......

Ravenxdream
Student
Options

Btw; this works only for a couple of minutes, then everything is lost again. So hurry up, when you copy media into another folder....

jass007
Student
Options

Yeah, the folder is just not there, is there any way to retrieve that folder back? My storage usage hasn't changed even after Whatsapp went missing 

0 Likes
Tuna-Sandwich
First Poster
Options

Its normal from on begining they made the dual App. Usualy all files are to find somewhere in "/storage/emulated/0..." For dual app files theres another instance like for example /storage/emulated/999. Files in this folder are not visible for any apps that are installed in the 0 folder. Well ive seen telegram is smarter. Files from dual-telegram are saved in the regular dualapp folder. But whatsapp still the same senseless *****. Yes this is a very stupid and quite often also an annoying concept because exactley because of this concept there are many files you cant usualy attac to a whatsapp message because you just dont see the files, not even un the gallery.

Well ive been able to solve this problem on my old phone by using total commander. In the App named total commander you can add user specified folders. Well on my new samsung im on trying the same thing. But android has new security rules again that make it harder to even figure out the path of the dual app folder. This wasdefinitleythe ladt time i didnt root my androidphone from on beginning. Because for someone who knows a bit about it, the rules in android become more and more annoying. Its not even possible to regulary maintain the system. Just stupid and nothing else... Well, you have to figure out the name of the folder. As soon i know how to link it even with the new android rules, ill post it here.

0 Likes
jass007
Student
Options

Wel yeah it's a complete mess. But I did manage to find the hidden dualapp whatsapp files which i couldn't find in the dualapp folder or dualapp/android/media/whatsapp

0 Likes
Tuna-Sandwich
First Poster
Options

On some phones yes. This is the regular dual app directory. On my phone and others its not in this directory. As said about 2 years ago it has still been normal that there is a special mount only for the dual apps. What causes exactley the problems with the gallery and the other apps. Well my phone is a new modell (A71).. so i dont know why its like this again. If its something because of an update or what ever. I programmed a little script that checks out all the possible mounts from 1-999. There is no numbered mount id have access to. so its definitley not the same like it used to be. How ever, will figure it out in a while.

0 Likes