Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Galaxy Store compromise our security?

(Topic created on: 31-05-2021 02:14 PM)
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
I have been browsing through the Galaxy Store, and noticed that there are at least TWO "dubious" apps, namely:

UPDATE FOR WHATSAPP (ahmeen lamis) - FREE TO DOWNLOAD

WHATSMESSENGER APP (no app owner stated) - £0.83

First of all, I was under the illusion that WHATSAPP updates itself from the GENUINE VENDOR, so why would I want "ahmeen lamis" to provide an update, unless I want to risk malicious code injected onto my device, for potentially "nefarious" purposes?

Secondly, an app calling itself WHATSMESSENGER APP, creates confusion with the GENUINE WhatsApp app - thus there is, again, potential for "nefarious" apps to run on our devices.

DOES ANYBODY AT SAMSUNG ACTUALLY CHECK THESE APPS, OR VENDORS, BEFORE POSTING THESE APPS IN THE GALAXY STORE?

IMHO, Samsung are potentially exposing themselves to a Class Action in the courts if it is proven, without doubt, that a users' data has been compromised in this manner.

Get your act together, Samsung!!

3 REPLIES 3
CarlH
Options

Hi @Steven9761, thank you for your concern. Providing app developers have adhered to the Apps Distribution Guide, they are allowed to be hosted on the Galaxy Store. 

Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
I appreciate the feedback. Perhaps, a note on the landing page would be beneficial?.. something along the lines of "the 3rd-party vendors comply with Samsung's Apps Distribution Guide", which would provide some reassurance to potential users?
0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Galaxy store is not well vetted at all. I don't use it for anything other than official Samsung app updates.