Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting an IMAP account on my S21 but not from the email server

(Topic created on: 19-04-2022 05:07 PM)
crashbarrier
First Poster
Options

Greetings one and all,

Not long after getting my new S21 I discovered that having set up my email as an IMAP account then any emails that I delete will also delete them from my PC as well as the source email server. This I have found out is a feature of IMAP but not POP3. Subsequently, I now have emails building up on my phone which I have viewed and dealt with elsewhere. So, my question is a simple one for those who know and understand this stuff:-

Can I just delete the email account(IMAP) from my phone but not have any effect on the source email server? 

As a precaution, I have backed up the emails as a .pst file via Outlook(PC))

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
papashaun
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes that should be fine to just deletet the account on the phone I have done that in the past with no effect on the email server
0 Likes
crashbarrier
First Poster
Options

papashaun,

Thanks for your response and the good news. I previously had an S10 and I had my email accounts on it with no issues. I could delete, forward and send emails to my hearts content but this new S21 just doesn't want to play ball. To be honest I really wish I hadn't bothered getting it and stuck with my old phone. Progress, eh!

0 Likes
Richmar83
Helping Hand
Options
Yes, deleting the IMAP account on your phone won't affect the email account it relates to as you are only removing the physical IMAP connection between device and host server.
0 Likes
crashbarrier
First Poster
Options

Richmar83,

Many thanks. Your confirmation that it's OK to do makes me feel a lot better. Two years ago I managed to let my virus software delete every email that I had ever received going back years and years and I really didn't want to do a similar thing again. 

0 Likes