Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Cannot update Samsung TTS, seriously Samsung why?

(Topic created on: 13-07-2021 08:17 AM)
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Pretty basic stuff which Samsung have managed to fudge. I don't know if it's Tab A7 ROM specific or entire range wide.

Samsung Store is prompting to update Samsung TTS. I cannot because it says the apk cannot automatically update and to uninstall it to update. TTS cannot be uninstalled, the only option is to forcibly stop it and it cannot be disabled.

This to me leaves a nice security hole as it's a system level service that can read what's on screen. I have switched over to Google TTS engine but would like Samung to either make their TTS update properly or allow end users to disable it.
5 REPLIES 5
FUP
First Poster
Options

Having exactly the same issue on a galaxy a7 that I've had less than 2 months.

There seems to be no way to manually remove the existing app version (if there is its exceptionally well hidden).

This is a very disappointing sign of ineptitude or inability to plan a process. Not sure which I should hope for.

It may have been more understandable (but not acceptable ) to have this kind thing from a cheap smart phone manufacturer but it's not what I would have expected from a company with the repute and market lead of Samsung.

Decyther74
Explorer
Options

Same issue here, tab a7 with latest oneui 3.1/android 11 update. 

Hannibalcat
Journeyman
Options

Exactly the same problem on a brand new A7

Solution
Decyther74
Explorer
Options
Seems to have been fixed, just tried updating it again and it worked. Noticed they had changed the name to 2nd something.
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Yes, thanks for the notification. It says 2nd Brand at the end of it. I'll stick with Google's TTS and Gboard though as I find Gboard much easier to use than Samsung's keyboard. Marked your post as the solution :winking-face:
0 Likes