Original topic:

Can't Re-register RCS/Chat Features After Factory Reset

(Topic created on: 2 weeks ago)
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options
Mobile Apps & Services
Hello & Good day,

So here's the situation I'm facing. I had chat features registered and working on my phone, but after a major system update and a factory reset (which is usually recommended after such an update) I can no longer seem to successfully register the chat features with my default messages app.

It just keeps giving me a 'Registration Failed' toast message every time I try. I forgot to de-register the service before the factory reset but I didn't think it would cause such an issue, not to mention that you wouldn't remember to do this before-hand every time you decide to do a factory reset.

Any help with remedying this would be much appreciated, thanks in advice.

Relative Information:
Device: Samsung Galaxy A71 (SM-A715F)
Android Version (before system update): Android 11, One UI 3.1
Android Version (after system update): Android 12, One UI 4.1
Default Messaging App: Samsung Messages

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Trottsky
Helping Hand
Options
Mobile Apps & Services
Copied from Pugs1957 from another post: I've experienced this. The solution is to turn off chat features and wait 8 days before turning it back on. During this waiting time your phone gets deregistered from the chat server.
Don't be tempted to try within the 8 days because it resets the clock.
Fortunately, it rarely happens.
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

Its a waiting game then I guess, will try that, thanks for the info @Trottsky

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

@Kenneth-071: When the time comes, please can you also ensure that you head to Settings > Connections > More Connections Settings > Rich Communications, and toggle this option on. Following this step, open the Messages app > Tap the 3 dots in the top right > Settings > Chat Settings > Chat Features > On. 

0 Likes
Kenneth-071
Navigator
Options
Mobile Apps & Services

Well, here we are 9 days later and still getting the same 'Registration Failed' message upon trying again. Samsung really needs to update their messaging app & add the ability to verify your phone number when registering for chat features like in the Google messages app.

0 Likes