Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bixby key may make me drop Samsung

(Topic created on: 01-05-2021 08:16 PM)
Phil6
Explorer
Options

I have a Galaxy S10+ which I bought outright. I connect it to my Samsung TV for gaming, and was considering a watch in future as I like my devices to work seamlessly together. 

Unfortunately Bixby has just updated itself without permission, and locked me out of using the button for my camera unless I sign up to Bixby and agree to the privacy policy.

The button is now useless.

Can anyone at Samsung tell me why they have taken this cynical step, reducing the functionality of the device unless I surrender some privacy?

I think it may be time for me to look for a new device ecosystem. 

7 REPLIES 7
KholaI
Options

Hey @Phil6 

You can change the side key option by heading into Settings > Advanced features > Side key.

Phil6
Explorer
Options

Since recent update, this option is not available without agreeing to Bixby, as stated in the original post 

Blessed4life
Black Belt 
Options
Hi, I my brother found it, go into advanced features then select Bixby key, on my device S21 ultra it says side key yours will say Bixby key.
Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20210501-233200_Settings.jpg

Phil6
Explorer
Options

Again. The options to change the function of the button, which to be clear are in the advanced settings that both replies have mentioned, are NOT available without signing away my privacy rights to Samsung for Bixby, which I do not use. It used to be possible, but Samsung have decided they would rather force some people to give up their privacy than allow full use of the phone's functions to all. They have also now updated the policy on Samsung Health to make it more intrusive and insist on more control of personal data and access to contacts. 

kevin in Atlanta
Journeyman
Options

Why is samsung so abusive of its worldwide customers, or are Korean public happy to be part of a cult where the leader is always right?

0 Likes
kevin in Atlanta
Journeyman
Options

SUCESS. I WAS ABLE to modify BIXBY KEY.  One press on my S10 now opens gmail.  TWO presses opens that YUK Bixby.

Why is Samsung so dictatorial and abusive?

0 Likes
kevin in Atlanta
Journeyman
Options

TO PHIL6,I agree to Samsung health, and then go into settings and turn off permissions.  So can you.

0 Likes