Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Please

(Topic created on: 01-03-2023 07:22 AM)
Markygeezer
Apprentice
Options
I have a Note 8 & an S9.
When sending text messages using the Note 8 & the message reaches a certain length, I see a Pop up saying ' Converting to MMS messaging '. My phone, for whatever reason won't send MMS messages. So what I would like to ask is ??
Is the ability to only send texts of a certain length, a phone settings issue OR a network issue ?? I have previously followed advice of going into my chat settings & changing something, but the problem always returns. 
I am a huge technophobe & any advice would be greatly appreciated 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Egg1
Voyager
Options
Limited to 160 characters before it converts to MMS which usually costs, depending on your network and sim plan situation whether that sends or not.
I would say your phone plan blocks sending MMS, fortunately if you'd regret paying for extended text.
Perhaps consider using a chat app, WhatsApp is popular or maybe an email.
I believe depending on your network plan you could opt to send MMS as it needs permission to bill you for it.
Good luck.

View solution in context

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Egg1
Voyager
Options
Limited to 160 characters before it converts to MMS which usually costs, depending on your network and sim plan situation whether that sends or not.
I would say your phone plan blocks sending MMS, fortunately if you'd regret paying for extended text.
Perhaps consider using a chat app, WhatsApp is popular or maybe an email.
I believe depending on your network plan you could opt to send MMS as it needs permission to bill you for it.
Good luck.
Markygeezer
Apprentice
Options
Egg1, thanks for the answer. A few years ago I just had a cheap £10 talk & text Nokia & I know that the text on that was limited to 160 characters BUT I seriously thought that technology had moved on, I know that when using Messenger or WhatsApp, you can tap away to your hearts content & didn't realise that text messages were stuck in the dark ages. Very frustrating, so it's definitely an issue with the phones & not network related.
Thanks again Egg1
Egg1
Voyager
Options
You are welcome, texts basically piggy back calls from Tower to Tower, so limited space left.
In 1985, one character pretty much equated to one byte, so they decided that the character limit for an SMS should be 140. Since then, the GSM technology has improved, and they've been able to make each character less than one byte, meaning they could squeeze 160 characters into one SMS. Thus, the decision to limit each SMS to 160 characters.