Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 5G roll out.

(Topic created on: 21-11-2021 06:37 AM)
RichardOldroyd
Explorer
Options
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of 02's 5G rollout in the UK?

I am told they are starting with the areas they have the most customers but that's a bit illogical to me.

I have a very hit and miss 4G connection so if they rolled out 5G to my area they would potentially get more customers.

Or even if they filled in the holes in there 4G coverage before rolling out 5G.

I don't know, I just won't a better 02 experance.
0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
r1cky13
Helping Hand
Options
Will I got notified about them rolling out 5g in My area but I'm right near the Thames I sideloaded the beta because of 02 update speed and samsung have out done themselves I haven't myself had no issues but I was speaking to someone else that was having app crashes god knows
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
I use Giffgaff which piggybacks on O2 and have had 5g for ages now.

£10 for 15gb It's more then enough for me as I am mostly on WiFi
0 Likes
RichardOldroyd
Explorer
Options
What area are you in?
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
London.
0 Likes
RichardOldroyd
Explorer
Options
I'll be in London on Wednesday, I will be testing it out.
0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Apparently 5g only kicks in for data for voice it uses 4g in so I've heard. So if you have poor 4g in your area 5g may not help.

Also you need a 5g sim to go with your 5g contract.
0 Likes
RichardOldroyd
Explorer
Options
The problem with 5G is that it operates at a higher frequency so does not cover as much area as a 4G mast would.
This is why we are seeing a lot more masts going up.
Once 5G can masts can over lap properly it will be amazing but it's going to take a while to get there.
I know some operators have started to use low power 5G cells on street furniture such as lamp posts to try and fill in the gaps the towers leave.
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@RichardOldroyd: All I can recommend is heading to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Network Mode, and setting this to 5G/4G/3G/2G (auto connect) to allow your phone to connect to the strongest available signal in your area. To find out more about 5G availability in your region, please reach out to O2 directly. 

0 Likes
GoanGeek
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Giffgaff Screenshot_20211119-083740_Chrome.jpg
0 Likes