Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QLED 8K Q900R and Q950 TV tread (software/firmware updates, One Connect Box swap, HDMI 2.1, etc.)

(Topic created on: 27-04-2021 06:41 PM)
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Hello everyone,

I have a QLED 8K Q900RA TV, bought in October 2019 (from Komplett.no - a shop in Norway), and got a new One Connect Box replacement to fix the lack of HDMI 2.1 (only in port 4) in May 2020 (shipped free of charge, after having to wait a few months). I got a free Galaxy S10E 128GB phone (no longer valid), plus 10 years burn-in screen guarantee (had to register online right after purchase).

As far as I know, there are three different models: Q900RA (2018), Q900RB (2019) and Q950R (2019) - all three came in different screen sizes.

Special mentioning of the HDMI 2.1 port upgrade promise of the Q900RA (2018) on its product page:

Skjermbilde 2020-11-04 kl. 18.50.57.pngReference: https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/qledtv-q900r/

RTings review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q900-q900r-8k-qled

Update download: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE75Q900RATXXU/

The purpose of this tread is to keep track of problems and solutions our TV might have/get, One Connect Box swap, software- and firmware updates, etc.

Known problems (updated 12th. February 2020):

- The One Connect Box of the Q900RA (2018 models) lacks the HDMI 2.1 port - despite a complementary upgrade to HDMI 2.1 was promised in their presentation of Q900RA on the Samsung website, it was supposed to be fixed by the One Connect Box swap (contact Samsung), note the HDMI 2.1 was only in port 4. Later it turns out that the HDMI 2.1 port even on the new One Connect Box we got swap is still not HDMI 2.1. Despite countless attempts to get a propper answer from Samsung, they are still not transparent about what kind of a port is actually installed, but it is confirmed that it is not a HDMI 2.1 port. The 2019 models should have a proper HDMI 2.1 (no OCB swap needed).
- Lack of eARC
- Lack of AV1 codec (needed for YouTube 8K compressed play)
- Problems with the YouTube app on the TV when running 1440 and 4K videos (on the TV's web browser 4K on YouTube works flawlessly !) Even 1080p videos are often defaulting to 360p. 

64 REPLIES 64
Adamantium
First Poster
Options

ps. I appreciate the difference between the 950 and the 900ra. Was just pointing out that this promise was only in relation to the newer of the two models so yes it applies to the 900rb in the US and the 950 in europe.

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Yes, thanks, I believe many appreciate it a lot. 👍🏼 A lot of people don't know the difference between the two.

Last time they made a promise it was also high up in the hierarchy. Difference was that the promise was March. But let's hope for the best. Seems promising anyhow. 😊

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

@Adamantium Forgot to say that it's much appreciated that you share your findings.

I have posted this news in a QLED FB group, so the word is even more spread. 👍🏼

Although I must add that they have had similar news for the 2019 Q90R. It will seemingly also be fixed for eARC (as promised a long time ago) in the same Firmware update. 👍🏼

0 Likes
rob0976
Journeyman
Options

I have the Q900RB and still mine does not support eARC it only shows up as two channel audio which is standard ARC where's the update for the good stuff(eARC) I feel like I've been ripped off by Samsung and Yamaha. I invested my money in both and I can't afford to replace them with something that works like it's supposed to!

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

That's because according to all sources, and there are many official now, the eARC firmware update will be released in May. For Q900RB/Q950R. 

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

If you have the Q900RB, then there are rumors that it will be getting a eARC upgrade in May. The model you have with the -B ending is supposed to be the same as Q950 - yours is the US model - and both came out in 2019 with one HDMI 2.1 port. You will get more information from @Humorsopa about this, as seems to be on top of this information. 

crs619
Apprentice
Options

Bullshit it will. 

0 Likes
MrMojo43
Student
Options

Hi hope you're well. I'm just wondering if there was any updates regarding firmware update for Q900r. Did you finally get anything. 

Regards

0 Likes
crs619
Apprentice
Options

They just released a new software update (1385); it did nothing that I can see and it definitely is not the eARC update that is never coming for this television. This may be my last Samsung purchase, ever. 

0 Likes
Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

The last thing Samsung (Sean Archer) has said is an eARC FW release now in August... But I wouldn't put my hopes up much.... It's been TWO freaking YEARS! 

0 Likes