Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Let's share the not so commonly known features of our devices.

(Topic created on: 09-12-2020 03:28 PM)
WireWrangler
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I've been an Android user since the day it came out. I don't consider myself an expert on the system, but I do feel i have a great understanding about the deep features our devices have. That being said, I still seem to stumble across things we can do that I never knew was available. I also find that many users have very little knowledge of all the features they have in their hands. One example that seems to wow people is when I have them put their device back-to-back to mine so I can easily transfer photos, app links, webpages, etc. via NFC and Android beam. I've had many exclame, "How did you do that!?" It got me thinking, what other features am I missing out on? So I thought, how about we have a thread that we can share our favorite, possibly unknown to the average user, things your device can do. It can be stock (factory features) like the NFC one i mentioned above or something you can do with an app. Who knows we might find out our device are even more powerful then we thought!

25 REPLIES 25
WireWrangler
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I'm pretty sure it's part of the Android OS but it's possible Samsung has expanded on the feature. It's been a while since I've used stock Android.

emigrating
Pioneer
Options

But the apps ARE compatible and they can NOT cause warranty issues - sure, some of the modules can be problematic but see below for that.

The problem is actually worse when having to download "unauthorized" copies of the app, because you CAN then install a non-supported module on the wrong phone leading to a factory reset. Whereas if the main Samsung app was available it would filter out what's NOT compatible with your exact device.

ElinH
Troubleshooter
Options

Like I mentioned earlier, let's hope the app will be available soon for all of us to enjoy 🤞

// ElinH
Solution
WireWrangler
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Here's another feature i like to use on occasion, and just recently tought a friend, the split screen option! Being able to use two apps at once can be very handy. To use it just open the app you want then tap the recent apps (3 vertical lines button on the navigation bar) tap and hold the app icon and you will get an option for split screen if the app is compatible. Tap that and you can then select the second app you want to open. You can even save the paired apps to the edge bar for future use by tapping the 3 dots between the two apps and then tapping the icon with the +in it.

Screenshot_20210102-144702_One UI Home.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-150007_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-150022_Wikipedia.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-150318_Wikipedia.jpg

ElinH
Troubleshooter
Options

That is awesome and so handy!! I had no idea you could do that 😍 

// ElinH
tibsu18
Explorer
Options

When I bought my first Samsung Galaxy S Smartphone, and it was the very first S-series phone, I soon realize that Samsung is way ahead of other manufacturers. And when there came second, third, etc. S-series phone, I knew that I'm not going to ever change Samsung to other manufacturers phones because there was so many things that You can do with Samsung's device that other manufacturers was able to add those features to their phones 4 or 5 years later! Since the day one I got my first Samsung Galaxy S, I know that it was something special if You compared it to different manufacturers phones. There's always something that You need to find by yourself when You buy a brand new Samsung luxury smartphone, but it's definitely worth it.

-tibsu18,

Pori, Finland

-tibsu18
Oxygenic
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I think the Power Share function present in some of the newer Note- S- Fold and Z-series devices is pretty awesome and often forgotten. Turn it on, put your galaxy device face down and your friend can put their Qi-enabled phone (android or iOS) on top of it and wirelessly charge using your power. This has saved my wife and friends sometimes. But it is so easy to forget that you actually can do this! :smiling-face: 

Screenshot_20210621-155822_Device care.jpg

ElinH
Troubleshooter
Options

This is such a great feature! 😍

// ElinH
Vargavinter
First Poster
Options
I've been struggling to get the "Hey Google" command to work outside the home screen and this is how I got it to work. 

1. I'm using Swedish as my language in the Assistant-app, and by doing so the option to train the Assistant using Voice Match is gone. I can only turn Voice Match on or off. 

2. I realized that if I removed Swedish as my language in the Assistant and went for English and then add Swedish as the second language then the option suddenly appears on how to teach Voice Match to learn how my voice workes. So just run the voice recognition test.

3. Now "Hey Google" works on all screens and even with the screen turned off. But if I remove the English under languages then it just goes back to only working on the home screen again. 

4. The drawback of having English prioritized over Swedish though is that the Assistant will only answer in English instead in your native language. But if you ask the Assistanten to answer in Swedish it answer you in Swedish instead even though it writes in English when you call on its attention. 

Hopefully this will help some of you if you have this issue as well. Have a great one guys. o/
ElinH
Troubleshooter
Options

You ok there? 😁

// ElinH
0 Likes