Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Let's share the not so commonly known features of our devices.

(Topic created on: 03-12-2020 04:20 PM)
WireWrangler
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I've been an Android user since the day it came out. I don't consider myself an expert on the system, but I do feel i have a great understanding about the deep features our devices have. That being said, I still seem to stumble across things we can do that I never knew was available. I also find that many users have very little knowledge of all the features they have in their hands. One example that seems to wow people is when I have them put their device back-to-back to mine so I can easily transfer photos, app links, webpages, etc. via NFC and Android beam. I've had many exclame, "How did you do that!?" It got me thinking, what other features am I missing out on? So I thought, how about we have a thread that we can share our favorite, possibly unknown to the average user, things your device can do. It can be stock (factory features) like the NFC one i mentioned above or something you can do with an app. Who knows we might find out our device are even more powerful then we thought!

25 REPLIES 25
ElinH
Troubleshooter
Options

@WireWrangler what a great initiative! I think the first hack that I found fascinating was the hands-free selfie one 😂 Just put your palm up and ta-daaa 🤳

// ElinH
Solution
WireWrangler
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

The voice control option is fun too! You can say "Smile" or even "Cheese"...al least that works when in english, I'm not sure if that holds in other languages. Great for group photos!

emigrating
Pioneer
Options

I use that all the time when taking photos of small technical things in cramped spaces with only one hand free. It's great!

Solution
emigrating
Pioneer
Options

Ok, here is something very popular amongst power users in other countries (up until very, VERY, recently that meant the US, UK and South Korea - it's been expanded to roughly half of EU in the past month or so, probably language related and Danish, Norwegian, Swedish etc just doesn't make sense for Samsungs translation team on what is basically a Garage app).

Good Lock. It's an official Samsung app (though developed by the employees down-time), not available in the Nordics (yet - although been in other countries for years already so...). It includes a bunch of Samsung developed "hacks" for the Galaxy line of phones. You can customize how many icons are shown on screen or in folders, completely new lock screen layouts, a special notification center that keeps a history, a bunch of new options for the S-pen and a bunch of other things. Modules are added and updated constantly, so what is in the blog post linked above is only a small portion of what's available now.

So.. how to get this if you happen to live in a unsupported region you ask? Easy, turn off your phone, remove SIM card, turn on phone, clear the cache and data of the Galaxy Store, connect to a US VPN (or IPv6 tunnel), start the Galaxy Store app again and your can follow this link. By using this method you need to install the app and all wanted modules before turning off the VPN and putting your SIM back in.

Second option is to download Nice Lock or Fine Lock from Google Play. Both will let you install the modules from APKmirror and make sure they keep up to date and so on.

Oh, and if you start using this and enjoy the power it holds, please use the Samsung Members app to bug customer support about un-region locking it. Vikings are plenty good at english to understand without a localized translation :face-with-tears-of-joy:

ElinH
Troubleshooter
Options

That's a really good idea! Makes me think of when you're at someone's house and need the wifi code and it consists of lots of numbers on the back of the router which its placed somewhere weird and hard to reach 😂

// ElinH
Solution
emigrating
Pioneer
Options

Have done that many a time. Nowadays I tell my friends to create a nice WiFi QR code, print it out and stick it on the wall next to the entrance.

Just point your camera and you're done.

ElinH
Troubleshooter
Options

Hey 😊 The reason it took a little while for you comment to be approved is because Samsung Nordics does not encourage "bypassing" rules (such as using a VPN), and we don't encourage customers to install unauthorized apps if they are not compatible with your phone and location.  This might cause warranty problems down the line if something was to happen to your device.

So just a little heads up. Fingers crossed though that this app will be available in our Nordic countries soooooon :hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-crossed: And keep sharing all the great tips you have!

// ElinH
Solution
WireWrangler
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

@emigrating did you know that the WiFi settings have a share via QR  code option built-in? Tap the gear for the WiFi you are connected to and then the QR icon at the bottom. You can even save the image and print it out. No other apps needed. 😊

emigrating
Pioneer
Options

Nice one! Did not know that.

Any idea if that is a Samsung or Android feature?