Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my Samsung QLED TV (75" Q900RA) have a "weak network card" ?

(Topic created on: 06-01-2021 02:18 AM)
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

This might be a problem that is not located on my 75" Q900RA TV (or One Connect Box), but for a couple of weeks now I have experienced a lot of buffering when watching 4K (even when down to 1440p) videos on YouTube - on the internal app on the TV. I have a 500/500 internet connection which I plan to do through an ethernet cable (with a TP-Link Switch), but this has worked fine for the first couple of weeks when I just got the new internet provider and got this new speed. What is strange is that the screen sometimes goes black for half a second when it buffers when this problem occurs. One of the service people (who not visited me at home, nor do they know what kind of a TV I have, though I have mentioned I have a newer model of the 8K Samsung TVs), claims that the TV set (mine) most likely have a weak network card, which I find ridiculous and an ambush to look for a problem other than the internet provider themselves. Bear also in mind that it was they who set up everything with a central, modem, installed cables and everything at my home - so this set up should work without having to go the cable connection route... I have however just ordered the TP-Link Switch, so I will do the internet through cable directly connected to my TV.

Here are some specs a friend of mine asked me to show on a few random 2140p 4K YouTube videos:

130803745_119042273276887_7916166996859478984_n.jpg

130345273_211201723802022_844827380718721805_n.jpg

Can someone give me feedback on the network card my Q900RA TV has, and if it is a "weak" card that might affect 4K streaming on YouTube ?

0 Likes
127 REPLIES 127
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Now the YouTube app is acting strange - different than before. It goes between 4K and 360p - but instead of buffering, the video stops (goes black) for a half-second goes to 4K and then plays flawlessly for some time and then stops and go 360p and then later back to 4K... The good thing is that it changes up to 4K, without me doing anything, but the change of resolution down to 360p and up to 4K and down... is annoying. I still have the web_20201208_00_RC04 version of the YouTube app, and T-KTM2DEUC-1310.4, BT - S - so no change in the software...

The 4K videos even starts in 4K.

This is why viewing YouTube videos (4K) in the YouTube app - not through web browser on the TV or through the Google Chrome on MacBook with the "casting" / "View on TV" option.

0 Likes
ivaylos
Explorer
Options

@PeerNorway,

While reading a forum about my problem with the YouTube app I stumbled across a thread from 2016 about buffering 4k YouTube videos. Someone suggested that the OP should stop YouTube auto updates. OP then replied that this fixed his problem.

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I assume you are referring to "OP" as the "original poster" of the thread you saw this ? I would not stop updating a program. This might be a short time fix, but having the latest updated version of an app/program, etc. should have fix to the recent version. So be careful about doing stuff to your TV which might affect it badly later on.

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

...I am getting the 4K buffering and back to defaulting 360p again (though the YouTube app on the TV) 😞

0 Likes
ivaylos
Explorer
Options

Yes, OP is the original poster of the thread I read.
Most of the times updating an app/software causes more trouble than simply finding a working version and sticking to it.

For example: My Windows 10 is build 1809 - September 2018. I haven't updated it since then and I have no troubles with it. I'm constantly reading articles about problems with the new updates.

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

It seems like there is a new issue with the YouTube app on the TV... The 4K video does stop, without buffering, for a short moment, and seems to be changing between 4K and 360p .several times through the duration (with up to four minuttes in between). Again, without me doing anything manually - just having the video running - and only using the app on the TV, not through the web browser on the TV or the Google Chrome browser on my MacBook. 

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Just now 4K videos seems to be defaulting down to 360p. No buffering. Just screen turns black and then play default 360p. While 1080p.  seems to play normal (not defaulting).

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

....and now the 1080p. videos is defaulting to 360p. and I have to manually change to 1080p. So annoying !!!

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

There is a new version of the YouTube app - web_20210106_00_RC01 - and the 4K seems to be working now without any buffering or black screen - though I do not want to say that it has now been fixed... But fingers crossed !

@AndreN can you check your TV now, both if you have gotten the new updated YouTube app version, and if the 4K works for you ?

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Hmmm.... I might be wrong... I still notice it is a better and more "friendlier" 4K but it does happen that it defaults to 360p. After testing different videos with some defaulting / buffering - I was finally able to enjoy a whole 4K viewing of the New York video without any problems - so some sort of improvments have been made.  However, after that, while watching another video right after, it seems to be defaulting from 4K to 1440p. - and then it seems to be "fine" after manually changing up to 4K again.... but then suddenly it is back to buffering (not defalting to a lower res.), and not starting until some time (maybe a few minuttes and clicking the play button after the video has stopped by itself, and I am back to 4K... 😞

It will be interesting to see how stabile the 4K videos will appear in the next couple of days and weeks.

Also, have you watched some clips that - during the video - even thought it says it is running in 4K, the picture getts really blurry and looks very low res. while still playing in "4K" ?

By the way, does anyone know how to read - and what particular to look for (or monitor) when checking the "stats for nerds" function ?

IMG-4195

(by the way, now I am not able to upload pictures to this forum - so I am linking....)

0 Likes