Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WW80J5555FW carbon brushes motor question & eco Drum Clean question

(Topic created on: 16-05-2023 12:29 AM)
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi, just bought a Used WW80J5555FW eco-bubble washing machine and noticed that when the drum is rotating clockwise the carbon brush noise is more of a 'shrill' than when the drum is rotating anti-clockwise. - could this be normal or an indication that one of the carbon brushes is sticking or not bedded in properly? could it cause further problems? 

also on eco drum clean is there any way of manually setting the temperature more than 60'c ? on most machines the drum clean programme would be something like 90'c to kill the germs and bacteria. 

Thanks.

#WW80J5555FW

10 REPLIES 10
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Hi mate, I'm not sure about the motor I'm afraid - I'm used to the brushless stuff! I'm certain that the Eco Drum Clean definitely does 70⁰C, though. 60⁰C is the closest temperature to it which is why the 60⁰C light is on when it is selected. I would recommend adding a bit of machine cleaner (little of it because the distributions can cause overfoaming). Some people use dishwasher tablets but I tried using a scoop of supermarket brand stain remover which worked fine on my machine. Has your Series 5+ broken down already?
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
If the brushes were worn, I can imagine the machine would show a 3C or 3E error code since the machine cannot operate without them. I know quite a few people who have used brushed Samsungs similar to yours for 5-8 years. They've reported no issues with the motor or motor brushes so I wouldn't think there is a fault considering the machine isn't a first generation EcoBubble model and is fairly new.
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

cheers , no the Series 5+ working absolutely fine . Just saw this used one in the paper and took a chance on it as a backup machine or to sell on

EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
That's good! You've bought yourself a gift by the way since the heating element, door seal and clamp, filter, inner drum, paddles, and bearings are identical on both machines!

I was worried about the Series 5+. I recently read about a WW90T634DLH which developed an issue with the motor after a year's use and started tripping the electrics a year after despite two motor replacements.

You might fancy the LG Centum machines as well (10-12kg machines with blue LCD displays). I've never owned one but they are pretty reliable and easy to repair based on what I've seen and read. The suspension system on those machines is in limited production nowadays - I'm guessing that they are too expensive to produce since they have ball balancers, extra dampers and a fixed tub. It's much more sophisticated than Samsungs setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj2CQJWqLho

This video explains it all!
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
To be fair, there's no way Samsung can make anything like this with a belt and pulley setup.
0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

Thanks, interesting that . i do see that the drum (even though a 8kg) on the WW80J5555FW is identical in design (diamond drum surface) to my 9kg WW90T534DAW. - same machine front (but the WW90T534 uses different door lock and a button switch above it) . - Same Diameter porthole. a slightly different door gasket design on the WW80J to the WW90T. 

It felt very alien putting in soap detergent and fabric softener in the WW80J today having the autodose WW90T machine for over a year now and confirmed that after having an Autodose system on a washing machine I dont think I would ever want to go back to a manual dosing washing machine ever again..... also would never want to go back to using a non inverter washing machine with carbon brushes in them , they are so so noisy amongst anything else .... especially when spinning! 

also would not want to go back to the older door locks where you had to wait ages after a spin for the door to be able to be opened!

WW90T534DAW Doorlock:
Plusses: open door as soon as cycle has finished, open immediately  after pressing pause if you wanted to add something else to drum if not long into wash and water level in drum is below door gasket.
Minuses - the big (bang/click click) sound the doorlock makes!

WW80J5555FW Doorlock:
Plusses: it operates in a quiet way
Minuses - it takes ages to open up door after after a cycle, even if you pause the machine the door still stays locked even if the  water was not above door gasket level.

I've a feeling then that the doorlock on the WW80J5555FW is one of thermal type principle that washing machines years ago used to work on?

Those things aside (manual dosing, brush type motor, ages to unlock door, drum clean at only 70c and it not being wifi enabled) the WW80J5555FW is cracking machine by samsung all the same - i much prefer the large LED display with the large time remaining 8 segment digits personally over the the display of the WW90T534DAW - also like the dial as well better on the WW80J5555FW with the lights around it - very snazzy and better looking than the silver dial on the WW90T534DAW (the black dial matching the black door accent) and think to myself that the black porthole door on the WW80J5555FW looks more premium than the black door they have used on the WW90T534 

The WW80J5555FW they have put a metal underside to the bottom of the machine whereas the later WW90T534DAW they have gone with the (presumably cheaper?) corrugated PVC. 

Inside the machine of the WW80J5555FW they have put grease where the top drum outer plastic tub springs attach too and grease is omitted from my later WW90T534DAW (presumably over time the grease stops the springs cutting into plastic outer drum lugs?) 

The next thing I want to check one day soon when I have enough time is to see if there are identical lower shock absorbers on the bottom of the drum tub on the WW80J5555FW and WW90T534DAW or have they (the WW90T534DAW being a later model) used a different (cheaper?) design shock absorbers on the later model. 

There are 2 cold water inlet solenoid valves on the WW80J5555FW whereas only 1 solenoid on the WW90T534DAW (mind you I would expect that as 1 of the solenoids on the WW80J5555FW is for the detergent component, and the other one is for the fabric softener compartment) whereas the ww90T534 only needs 1 solenoid for the autodose system of the WW90T534DAW because the drawer housing has 2 pumps (one for soap and the other for the fabric softener) 

Its fascinating seeing the changes between the 2 models .... but in some ways , a load of similar components used on both.

EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
The door lock on the new machines is annoying. It's loud and it also scares my budgie unlike the previous door lock but I'd rather not wait a minute longer like you to be honest! I'm sure it is a thermal door lock since I'm sure my WD806U4SAGD had the same minute long annoyance.
That grease is a good idea. It's no wonder that my Series 8 makes a nasty noise when unbalanced until it reaches 400rpm.

The shock absorbers aren't identical having checked the BuySpares website. All I know is that newer Samsungs have softer absorbers whereas the old ones were quite firm and caused a fair bit of vibrations - at least in my experience. I personally don't see it being a downgrade but I guess if I was to fully load my 11kg machine, which has the same absorbers as your 9kg, there will be a difference in tolerance.

The only reason why I hate auto dosing is because you can't change the softener easily. Apart from that, it's a game changer for me!

On my WD806U4SAGD, if the programme was stopped and the red door lock light flashed, then it meant that the door could be unlocked and that items could be added after a minute.

Samsungs designed between 2013 and 2017 (just before the ugly Q-Drive models were introduced) were probably the best. The WW9000 is in another world! The WW8000/8500 is amongst my favourites.

My previous machine was a washer dryer and as a result, it had three solenoid valves (picture attached). Otherwise it would've had two. It bizarrely had a direct drive motor like all LGs which Samsung used before it designed the spoke motors in the new machines although my old machine was purchased in 2015 so I'm guessing Samsung were using spare parts to save money - it worked reliably though.
That motor was quieter when washing but noisier when spinning compared to the Series 8. Much quieter overall than the Indesit Moon though with its brushed motor. The Series 8 is still on another level though and it feels like the RPM control is more precise.

I can't lie, Samsung brushed motors are quite loud compared to other brushed motors. Not a single person I know has felt that it is quiet. When Samsung introduced its spoke motors, it advertised the machines with it as producing less noise and vibration. Perhaps they tweaked the tolerance levels of the RPM fluctuations caused by unbalanced loads for the spoke motors (Digital Inverter). Good logic I guess.

I've realised that the way I've typed all this is probably a mess but here's a suggestion.

If you manage to find a WW70TA046TE, the door should fit your WW90T534DAW perfectly. That machine has a white door so it should make the machine look less like an Oreo biscuit. Speaking of which, at least you don't have a WW11BB744DGES1 since that just looks like one!

I'm sorry if the format of what I've typed is a mess! I've tried my best!Screenshot_20230515_234408_Samsung Internet.jpg20221127_201255_1000004083_1669579975.jpg20221128_215149_1000004202_1669672312.jpg
EcoBubbleUser944
Pathfinder
Options
Forgot to mention the timer on the AI models. I agree with the fact that its tiny. Its a functional display that reports back if things happen but that countdown timer is ridiculously small. Most people will use the app anyways but it's annoying.

To make matters worse, my Hotpoint FDUD43133X dishwasher is just as bad with its digital display, but at least that has large text which displays 'washing' or 'drying'. Old is gold I guess.
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

excellant answers, thanks. 
Ah yes that WW9000 machine was a beauty in my eyes , that had the tablet like screen on the front of the machine where you swiped to select your wash cycle on the colour touchscreen. i would love one of them - the price was out of this world too. i think I saw it in currys store for something like 2grand  or something like that ... and that wash not even a washer dryer it was just a washing machine i think - and for that price you still had to put the washing in and out of it manually LOL 😁 

Thats got me thinking of the shock absorbers now, would sturdier ones albeit noisier/more vibration be better built/stronger/last longer/ give better suspension if they have made the ones in the later machines softer ... hmmmm 

even inverter motors vary in noise. a previous machine I had was a Hotpoint with inverter motor and it was quieter in operation (on spin and ramping up and down to spin)  than the inverter motor on my Samsung WW90T534
Bot machines with brushless motors but the Hotpoint one quieter than the Samsung one... maybe its down to quality of motor itself or maybe the motor PCB board has components on it to make the motor torque differently (and consequently affect the noise it makes?) 

I do feel on the Hotpoint the motor sped up and slowed down (quietly) but when stopped spinning took longer to slow the drum down , whereas on the Samsung WW90T534DAW on observation when the drum is speeding up and slowing down there seems to be some kind of 'braking' going on... and as there is not a physical brake the electronics must be doing it (adjusting torque or something) so the drum slows down faster on the Samsung but you also get a 'whoosh' noise like the brushless motors (OK nowhere near as loud as a brush type motor) but its still there I can hear it. - if thats what they have done (by electronics/motor controller board) then they have taken a perfectly quiet inverter/brushless motor and injected a by-product of making it noisier by the way they are controlling the motor - shame that. 

an on the subject of carbon brush type motors and how noisy they are (especially on spin) I had a BEKO washing machine once that had a brush type motor and in the blurb it said something like the wash motor on the machine was something like 30% quieter than other brush type motors on the market ... and indeed it seemed to be. It had brushes , but wasnt too bad even when spinning it was an improvement on other machines with brush type motors. 
I dont know how they achieved it ... maybe softer type carbon brushes? or a better  designed brass commutator  maybe? - I dont know, but it was pretty quiet as far as brush type wash motors went. 

0 Likes