Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WW80J5456FX ecobubble makes banging noise

(Topic created on: 15-06-2022 09:48 PM)
londonguy21
Student
Options

Hi,

We've had our ecobubble a few years now and we've noticed that the washing machine is causing a banging noise in our internal piping when the washing machine is being drained. It's like there's a valve or pressure issue from the washing machine when the machine is draining. Clothes coming out clean, everything else fine, but when the machine is draining before the spin cycle, the draining of the water causing a loud banging noise in the pipes in the house.

Does this happen to anyone else? I think it's a fault with the machine but samsung told me earlier it's likely a problem with internal piping.  As they're not sure it's a washing machine fault, they've said there would be a charge if it's found the fault is not with the washing machine. That charge is putting us off agreeing to have an engineer sent out.

Thanks,

17 REPLIES 17
IamJai
Helping Hand
Options
Can you put some water in there maybe a litre and put it on a spin cycle and record the whole cycle because it might be the anti suds pump kicking in as well normally they bang or make a specific noise
0 Likes
londonguy21
Student
Options

Quick update to the topic. Samsung engineer said the valve and washing machine are fine. The issue seems to be with water-hammer. We're in the process of trying a water arrestor in various positions in our system. The water arrestor at the mid point in the system by boiler didn't resolve the problem, so we'll be trying it at the washing machine entry point. Hopefully that'll resolve the issue! Not had issue with water hammer with my old washing machine (non-samsung), so it's a real pain that we need to buy and install a special device because the samsung machine has an inherent design flaw!

0 Likes
iulyus2004
First Poster
Options

Hello! Please can you tell me if you fixed the issue regarding of your water-hammering noise which comes before spinning? I have a similar issue with my eco bubble. I mounted the water-hammer arrestor on the inlet of the machine, but unfortunately it doesn't make any difference.

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

Try turning down the washing machine cold tap to stop water hammer.

cold tap.jpg

It may take longer to fill up the machine but may help with the water hammer problem . 

The Samsung may be different than the last washing machine because maybe they put a water saver / flow restrictor in the cold water inlet of the blue inlet valve on your previous washing machine

0 Likes
Members_jMEvpSa
First Poster
Options

Same issue, no issue with previous Bosch washer. I'm going to try turning the isolation tap off slightly see if that helps.

0 Likes
iw3
First Poster
Options

Same issue here, a plumber  clipped some loose pipes, fitted a shock arrestor and a pressure reducer and we still have water hammer. Nothing else in the house causes the same issue. We had Ecobubble before with no issue. The washing machine is less than a year old (series 5, 9kg) and I'm thinking about buying a different brand which is not so aggressive when opening and closing the valve. Approx 20mins from the end of my 'daily wash programme' it opens and closes (presumably to refill the washing machine with the required amount of water) at least 15 times and it's so annoying. I'm a bit unsure where to go next with this. 

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

@iw3 wrote:

my 'daily wash programme' it opens and closes (presumably to refill the washing machine with the required amount of water) at least 15 times and it's so annoying. I'm a bit unsure where to go next with this. 

annoying on the samsung I have gone from Hotpoint Machine to samsung machine. I believe this '15 times' on and off at the end of the wash is when is adding the fabric conditioner liquid to the wash . 

On my hotpoint washing machine when it came to adding fabric conditioner softener it just took in the water and stopped filling up the drum when enough water was in there - on my Samsung , its like you say , on and off the valve opens and closes for around 15 times. Its crazy, must be programmed like that into the machines software to do that ... for reasons of maybe they think that its better to add the conditioner, then tumble the washing then open the valve and add some more softener and so on , rather than dump the fabric conditioner all in one go . 
But our old Hotpoint done the washing perfectly when it just opened the fabric softener solenoid valve once and then stopped - so I cannot see any improvement what the Samsung does ... apart from annoyingly stopping and starting the water inlet like that . 

Also , (and I dont know if this is something you or your plumber can check) - but on the water outlet on our samsung machine at the back there is a water reducer part - if yours is missing in the inlet at the back maybe this is causing the banging water hammer in the pipes problem you have? 

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

@andy_in_ireland wrote:

Also , (and I dont know if this is something you or your plumber can check) - but on the water outlet on our samsung machine at the back there is a water reducer part - if yours is missing in the inlet at the back maybe this is causing the banging water hammer in the pipes problem you have? 

This is what the reducer looks like in the water inlet on the back of my Samsung washing Machine: 

andy_in_ireland_0-1674839050285.png

You have to take out these inlet filter  mesh(s) first to get to it with a pair of long nose pliers:

andy_in_ireland_1-1674839266414.png

then you can see the black rubber water reducer here in the inlet:

andy_in_ireland_2-1674839429192.png

When its in place it may take a bit longer for the machine to fill up with water, but if you have high pressure mains cold water inlet without this in place may be the cause in water hammer as the solenoid opens and closes. 
Good luck

0 Likes
iw3
First Poster
Options

Thank you. I'll explore that.

0 Likes