Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Washing machine WW90T684DLH - ' Refill detergent' message not showing when compartment is empty

(Topic created on: 06-07-2021 06:34 PM)
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

3 month old washing machine using auto-dispenser function. The 'refill conditioner' message was displayed so I filled it up. I then checked the detergent container and it was empty but I did not get the 'refill detergent' message display. I did another two washes to ensure any remaining detergent in the system was used but still no message. Is there a fault that I can fix or do I need to get the engineer? Thanks 

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

Same as JSM70. I've turned auto-dispense off and then back on to Medium setting and it was dispensing ... though if it does not know if the reservoir is empty I'm not sure how it can work out what dose to dispense. I'm now also getting the 'clean drain filter' message which won't go away even when I've removed it, cleaned it and replaced it three times. Also switched off the washer at the mains socket for 30 mins and then turned back on- the faults remain!

0 Likes
JSM70
Explorer
Options

I wonder if it's worth trying a factory reset? It's in the options menu.

0 Likes
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. Yes, I was tempted to do the reset but the machine is only 3 months old. I've already had a major repair when it was 3 weeks old; they had to replace the door seal as the spinning drum was eroding the seal but that is fine now. Rather than reset/fix it myself I'd like Samsung to convince me all is 100%  with the electronics before they can claim reasonable wear & tear for it's age etc.  The engineer is booked for 21st July so I'll be watching like a hawk in the meantime for any other  quirks. 

JSM70
Explorer
Options

Geez, you're not having much luck. You'd have been better off with a new machine if things started going wrong within 3wks!

Let me know how you go with the engineer visit. It would be good if it's something simple which I could sort myself - fortunately that's the only issue thing wrong with mine. I can live with it but you expect it to work on a brand new machine.

I still think Autodose dispenses too much detergent even on the lowest setting, but that seems to be a design issue as I've seen others post about it. I live in a soft water area and have the Water Hardness setting adjusted accordingly, but it still oversuds.

It would be better if there was a Concentration setting for the detergent (as there is for the softener) as liquid detergents do vary in concentration - I've had to change to the lowest concentration one I could find!

0 Likes
JSM70
Explorer
Options

With regard to the Clean Filter message, my previous machine (different brand) started displaying that message at around the 10yr mark even though I checked the filter regularly.

It would stop draining on every 3rd or 4th load and throw up a error code relating to the filter and/or drainage waste pipe, both of which were fine. Hitting the pause/resume button would trigger the machine to drain as normal, so clearly it must have been an issue with the electronics or the drain pump was on it's last legs.

I lived with it for the best part of a year before getting this new machine last month.

0 Likes
JSM70
Explorer
Options

@Tim289 As you've suggested, I wonder if the dispensing sensor is linked to the low level sensor?

I initially used the Med setting for detergent but found it sudded too much so changed to Low. This did not seem to make any difference, so ended up changing to a less concentrated liquid.

Out of curiosity last night, I timed how long the whirring dispensing noise lasted when using the Low setting and then later ran another wash (same cycle) using the High setting and there was no noticeable difference. I was expecting a longer duration dispense sound and more suds in the machine.

Perhaps you could ask the engineer next week whether the machine requires the low level indicator to be functioning in order for the dose per wash to work correctly?

0 Likes
PeterR1947
Student
Options

I have exactly the same issue, I have tried all the proposed solutions and like everyone else nothing helped so it will also be a call to Samsung

0 Likes
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

I have done several more washes without topping up the detergent drawer (so it is dry & empty) by using the manual detergent compartment ( labelled c in the instruction manual). I then got a 'refill softener' message but when I looked in there was a few mm deep of softener left. Filled up with softener and that message went away so suggests the softener sensor triggers on 'low' not ' bone dry empty'. Then I got a 'Refill detergent' message (at last!) so I wonder if either the detergent level sensor is dodgy or whether there is another reservoir in the depths of the machine that had enough detergent to dispense to keep it happy for several washes despite the compartment being dry/empty. I'll be asking the service engineer to explain the compartment storage volumes, dosing and sensors etc and will update after the appt on Weds.  FYI, I have done all the Drum Clean washes etc when that has been requested ( 4 times in 3 months and there are only 2 people in the house!) so these problems are not due to ignoring the maintenance instructions.

JSM70
Explorer
Options

I'm glad you've finally seen the detergent message!

I don't believe there is an internal reservoir as my machine has run cycles with zero suds as a result of not being able to dispense any liquid, after unknowingly running out.

When I've checked the detergent drawer it has had a couple of mm of detergent - I think when the level gets too low, it can't dispense.

In terms of the dosage, I've carried out some tests and there is usually a variance in the duration of the detergent dispense sound. For example, with Quick Wash it was 4 secs on Low dose and 6 secs on Med dose. Cotton Cycle was 14 secs on Low dose. 

What I've learned from those handful of tests, is that the machine appears to be programmed with a dispense time setting for each cycle, based on the Low, Med & High options (and presumably varying for water hardness).

I've also found that the system can be a bit 'flaky' as one attempt (Low dose) didn't display the 'Adding Detergent' message and no dispensing sound, even though the detergent was full!

Tim289
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. I'll include this info when I interrogate the service engineer. I cannot believe this machine is so complicated.