Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing machine WW90T684DLH - ' Refill detergent' message not showing when compartment is empty

(Topic created on: 06-07-2021 06:34 PM)
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

3 month old washing machine using auto-dispenser function. The 'refill conditioner' message was displayed so I filled it up. I then checked the detergent container and it was empty but I did not get the 'refill detergent' message display. I did another two washes to ensure any remaining detergent in the system was used but still no message. Is there a fault that I can fix or do I need to get the engineer? Thanks 

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
I'm assuming that the detergent and conditioner dispensers have a sensor. Try wiping them down, to remove any residue on the sensors, and try again. If you still don't get a warning, you might need an engineer to take a look.
0 Likes
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. I can see a pair of metal pins at the back of the dispenser drawer that may be the sensor. I'll give them a clean. Of course it will be a while before I will know if that is the solution as the reservoir holds enough detergent for ~ 10+ washes.

Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
Just a thought - are you using liquid detergent, or powder? Liquid obviously conducts any current from one pin to the other. When the liquid level drops below those pins, the circuit is broken, signalling the refill indicator. I'd imagine that any liquid residue at the bottom of the dispenser is still providing a circuit between the + electrode (pin), and the - electrode. Wipe them both clean with a damp cloth, then dry them. Hopefully, the circuit is "broken", triggering the refill indicator.
0 Likes
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

Good point. We're using Bold 2in1 Professional detergent but it does not specify whether it is a  liquid or gel. Reading the manual it suggests gel may be too viscous (or maybe stick to the sensors giving a false reading?). The metal pins which I assume are the sensors are located at  mid-height where the compartment tube docks with the valve/sensor mechanism so should trigger a few washes before the compartment is fully empty. I'll keep you updated. Cheers!

JSM70
Explorer
Options

I have the same issue. I bought the WW90T684 last month and the Detergent Low message has never appeared, even though I have had to refill it 3 times already. The Softener Low message appears though. 

0 Likes
Tim289
Journeyman
Options

Quick update. I removed the drawer completely and wiped down the interior. There are two  pipes at the back that connect to the detergent and conditioner section respectively. Each connection has two metal pins that are fixed and a small plastic pin lower down that can move up and down - maybe a float switch. Anyway I cleaned all of this mechanism  and the detergent compartment so the detergent section was empty and dry. I then ran three washes and everytime it displayed 'Adding detergent to laundry load' which is obviously wrong as there was none and still  the' refill detergent' message still has not appeared. As JSM70 noted I still get the 'Refill Softener' message. I rang Samsung and they gave me the phone number of their local support company but when I called them for over the phone sanity check they said they did not cover my area so  I'll make a further call to Samsung to arrange a service engineer later today. I'll let you know what happens. Cheers

JSM70
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the update. I didn't think cleaning the drawer would make any difference in my case as the message has never appeared. I've only had the machine a month and when I first turned it on, with no detergent or softener in the drawers, the only message that appeared was for the softener. At the time I just assumed that the machine can only display one message at a time, so thought nothing of it.

The manual states that there are three messages; "Refill Softener", "Refill Detergent" and "Refill Softener & Detergent". I've never had a 'Refill' message - just a 'Low' one for the softener. I guess the wording has been changed or a mistake with the manual.

Let me know what the engineer says - I assume the sensor is either faulty or has not been connected. You would think, given all the 'smarts' on the machine, that it would at least advise you in some way that something is not working correctly.

0 Likes
Paul_HL
Samsung Pro
Options

Just checking that the detergent is set to on as it wont check when set to off .

0 Likes
JSM70
Explorer
Options

Yes, it's on Low dose. The detergent is dispensing - it's just the Low/Refill message which never appears.

0 Likes