Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing Machine WD90T984DSX - Fabric softener setting?

(Topic created on: 06-01-2023 09:52 AM)
Paul_Blatchly
Journeyman
Options

Confusion over fabric softener setting - Hope that someone can help?

Default setting is 1x.  Options allow setting to be 1x - 2x - 3x.

Does this mean for example that 2x setting doses twice the amount of softener, or half the amount?

I use a concentrated softener and the machine uses a lot on 1x setting.

Can someone please explain how the setting adjusts the dosage!

Have read the instructions, and they really are not clear.

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page may be helpful to you

Get cleaner clothes with your Samsung washing machine

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00084866/
0 Likes
Paul_Blatchly
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Thank you for your response.  However, unfortunately it does not answer my question.

I need to know how the 1x, 2x, 3x setting affects the auto dosing of conditioner.

Cheers.

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
**Based on Normal concentration. Number of cycles will increase to 16~20 times when softener of 2X / 3X is used. Auto Dispense holds detergent for up to 1 month's washing based on the average of 4 loads per week. May vary depending on the washing load and settings.

More info can found on the link below

https://www.samsung.com/au/support/home-appliances/auto-dispense-feature-on-samsung-smart-ai-washers...
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Paul_Blatchly: I was only able to find the following information in the user manual regarding the concentration level of the softener dispenser. 

"The dispense amount of softener decreases as the concentration level increases."

With this in mind, if you were to select 2x or 3x concentration, then this will dispense less softener than the default 1x setting. 

0 Likes
Paul_Blatchly
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Many thanks for your message - appreciated.

I think that you've clarified the instructions for me.  I did find this confusing!

I will set it to 3x and see if the machine uses less conditioner.

Thanks again.

Amy W
First Poster
Options

Hi, 

just having same issue. When you increased to 3x did it use less softener? Thanks. 

0 Likes
Paul_Blatchly
Journeyman
Options

Hi Amy,

Sorry that I cannot be of much help!

Despite all of the above Q&A, I am still not sure if my machine is using more or less softner!  It doesn't seem to make much difference.

Really annoying - and the instructions are so confusing - at least, I think they are.

One thing I do find is that my washing is often quite 'stiff' once dry (not tumble dried). Whether this is due to the conditioner I use, I am not sure!

Again, sorry to be so vague.  But hope that someone else can respond and be of help.

Paul.

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Troubleshooter
Options

one of the reasons i do like tumble drying my laundry (even though tumble dryers are fierce on the electricity bill) is for soft clothes and towels. 

If washing is stiff through normal drying maybe all the soap detergent is not all rinsing out properly so (even though it will greatly increase the time to do a cycle) try more rinses than you are normally used to doing so more detergent is removed from your clothes. Also lower the spin speed. If you have the spin speed set to 1400 or 1600 rpm spin speed more water is expelled, great for drying quicker but because  more water is extracted then this can make them stiff when drying normally. 

If you set a cycle for bedsheets (which should be nice and soft) you will often see it has set your rinses to a load of rinses (3 or more rinses?) and has lowered your spin speed to something like 800rpm so the sheets are soft and creases are reduced to their minimum , so of course its a longer wash cycle but it has chosen for you the best program. 

Why not try a few washes on 3 or more rinses, and 800rpm and maybe set a little less detergent on the autodose setting and see if your clothes dry a little less 'stiff' , what have you to loose apart from time as it takes longer to do a wash cycle with the extra rinses. 

Other consideration is how hard your water is in your area as to whether your washing dries hard or soft. If your kettle and shower head is always furring up with white limescale and you have white spots on your stainless steel sink and tapes then its safe to say you live in a hard water area and this will greatly affect the softness of your washing as your washing rinses in cold mains water and if that's in a hard water area then this will make your washing 'stiff' if you live in a soft water area all your clothes and towels and that will (should be) lovely and soft and fluffy. That's what i find anyway - if you have particularly hard water then maybe a water softener unit on the mains coming into the house may be very beneficial not only to stop your appliances  furring up with limescale (and ruining them and shortening their life and breaking parts) it may also make your washing nice and soft and protect them (fibres)  more from wear and tear. 

0 Likes
Paul_Blatchly
Journeyman
Options

Many thanks Andy.

Your reply is really appreciated.  I will certainly try your suggestions.

It has always frustrated me that such an expensive machine has produced poor results.  However, it is probably my lack of understanding that is the problem!  (I do tend to use 'quick-wash' cycles for convenience, rather than the longer, more thorough - and recommended ones!)

Many thanks again.

Paul.