Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing machine no heating water WF70F5EDW4X

(Topic created on: 02-04-2020 10:42 PM)
Duskpowder
Journeyman
Options

Hi guys. Looking for advice on how to fix.

Washing machine is not heating water. All cycles complete their run successfully but with stone cold water. So I imagine it could be the washing element but I am recieveing no error codes! 

Is there a diagnostic check I can run to see if it is the element before I buy one? Samsung support won't help as 2 and a half years old. Thank you in advance. 

0 Likes
25 REPLIES 25
Jam1eM
Samsung Pro
Options
What makes you think it is not heating the water? The final rinses which is normally 3 rinses will be cold water so the washing will always be cold at the end of the cycle. It only heats the water in the first wash stage and you will not feel this in the door either.
There is no easy way to test the heater unfortunately. The fact there is no error code and the wash finishes makes me think the heater is OK. A faulty heater would normally cause very long cycles due to the PCB waiting for the water to be at the right temperature. Which it will never do if it doesn't heat.
Duskpowder
Journeyman
Options

Hi, many thanks for your reply!   🙂

When I used to do a 95° wash I could always feel warmth through the glass door at a point in the cycle. Now the cycle feels stone cold at all times.

I have run a test on a 95° cotton cycle using a laser thermometer: 

Glass door was at 18° before use. 

During cycle testing every 10 minutes the door / wash temp went down from room temp. 

Start at 2.29 remaining : 18°

5 mins in: 13°

10 mins in: 8°

20 mins in: 11°

30 mins in: 15°

40 mins in: 14°

50 mins in: 15°

60 mins in: 15° 

Water coming out of kitchen tap at 8°.

So it seems the water isn't heating at all, but again cycle completes successfully. 

I'm totally stumped as I could definitely feel the heat through the glass previously. 

Could it be a limescale issue? 

0 Likes
Jam1eM
Samsung Pro
Options
Limescale tends to make the heater inefficient overtime. If you're really unlucky it can cause the heater to fail. But so can excess detergent deposits and general wash debris. Based on the figures and cold water draining, it certainly sounds like the heating circuit is not functioning.

I'd have to recommend an engineer look at it unfortunately.
Duskpowder
Journeyman
Options

I really appreciate your input. 

I agree with you, with no error codes to point me in the right direction it does sound like an engineer job. 

But with the cost of a call out and then parts I might just have to buy a cheap machine which is such a shame as I love my Samsung washer so much!! I don't want to give it up after only 2.5 years  😞  

I might open it up to check no obvious loose connections etc. then call it a loss. Haven't got much to lose by having a look! 

Thanks again for your help though!

0 Likes
SuzyQ2
Apprentice
Options

Hi there. Did you get to the bottom of the problem with your machine? Mine is doing exactly the same as what you have described. No error codes whatsoever but definitely not heating the water at any setting? 

Any help would be most grateful. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Duskpowder
Journeyman
Options
Hi there Suzy, I'm afraid I solved the problem by buying an Indesit machine for less than the cost of calling out an engineer and possible parts costs as after more research it was most likely to be the PCB which was unfixable by myself. The Indesit has old fashioned dials, washes well and never goes wrong 🤪 sorry I can't be of more help.
0 Likes
SuzyQ2
Apprentice
Options

Thanks very much for getting back to me so promptly. That’s frustrating because it appears to be working properly except for heating the water 🙄

Looks like I’ll have to decide upon a new washing machine or new fence panels all round, which have recently blown down. Why does everything break at once 🤬

Disappointed at Samsung. Having invested in a machine which cost so much, I was expecting it to last longer than the cheaper models. 

Duskpowder
Journeyman
Options
Sorry to hear that, and couldn't agree with you more. I expected more than 2.5 years out of my machine too! And the fact there is no error codes makes it harder to fix. It was coming in at about £100 for engineer call out, 120 if I needed a new PCB and 50 for an element. Got a lovely new machine for 220 so it seemed the most sensible thing to do.
I also use the washing machine cleaners so it shouldn't have been limescale. None of my other machines broke due to limescale. Good luck and happy new year!
0 Likes
SuzyQ2
Apprentice
Options

Don’t think it’s lime scale with mine either. Regularly cleaned and looks brand new 🙄

You don’t want to live in a throw away society but when they make it so expensive to repair rather than replace, you are left with little choice ☹️

Looks like I’ll be ditching the high tech machines and going back to basics too. Thanks and Best wishes for the New Year 😊