Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washing machine disappointment.

(Topic created on: 12-03-2023 04:42 PM)
Dave Dupont
Apprentice
Options

We spent a lot of money on a Samsung washing machine in Sept 2014.  It's now rumbling and making a noise and appears  and the bearing are now shot.  I know it's 8 1/2 years old but there's only two of us so it's not like it's had a hard life!

Just disappointed really, expected more.  Our previous (much cheaper machine) lasted a heck of a lot longer and there were four of us living there at the time!

It appears it's an uneconomical repair!

#ecobubble

7 REPLIES 7
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

have you tried opening door of washing machine and grasping the top of the drum and seeing if there is any play up and down. and I dont know how involved you get on the washing machine repair sides of things but if you feel confident taking back off machine , then taking off the black rubber drive belt then open washing machine door and spinning the drum by hand as fast as you can, if you hear rumbling/scraping then it could be bearings of the drum , but if no noise and silent then the sound could be coming from the washing machine motor (bearings in the motor or some other noise) and a motor will be a lot cheaper than a new drum. 

if drum rumbles and scrapes its not always worn bearings anyway, sometimes it could be something as simple as something stuck between inner and outer wash drum area and scraping or rubbing as it washes/spins - sometimes a wire from a bra strap being the culprit.  - good to have a real good check again before condemning it . 

0 Likes
Dave Dupont
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Andy I will give this a a go.

Be handy if it was the motor as it says 10 year guarantee on the motor!

andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

ah yes thats good. Yes I think some motors came with 10 years. i think my one comes with 5 years but its an inverter brushless one so i am predicting (hoping) it will last longer than that. 

I am not too sure that would include labour or just 10years parts (motor) on your machine so just be aware of that. I think labour would mean callout charges and fitting of the motor if it needs one - still should be cheaper (and a lot quicker) than changing the drum (I don't think they actually replace drum bearings these days the engineers I think they change the whole drum assembly , I could be wrong though) 

Dave Dupont
Apprentice
Options

Had to wait for a load to finish!  Yes loads of play in the bearing.  Grasping the top of the drum and lifting up and down has play of around 8-10mm.

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

@Dave Dupont wrote:

Had to wait for a load to finish!  Yes loads of play in the bearing.  Grasping the top of the drum and lifting up and down has play of around 8-10mm.

ah right then, alas I would pretty much think the bearings have gone on the drum shaft then 😢 

Dave Dupont
Apprentice
Options

It's disappointing as it hasn't had that much use really, just the two of us.  Wife was happy with it.

I'd be interested to hear from Samsung, is their expected life expectancy? 

0 Likes
andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

I dont know really. Mass produced items - not built to the quality thatwashing machines and other electrical items were built years and years ago where a washing machine could last 13 years or even more. 

I don't know how good you are at this kind of thing but if you get no joy from Samsung but you really have liked the machine and have liked it over the years/happy with it. What you could do (but another identical or near enough match) is find a donor Samsung machine for spares or repair, but one with a good drum in it (say if one was advertised and the drum was perfectly fine, but the control panel or motor or motor board was damaged or drain pump was broke or something like that) or if it was just being sold because someone was getting a new one . So scour all your paper ads , buy and sell websites on the internet , down at the local recycling centres, in your local currys branch/electrical stores etc (they may have had some old samsungs taken back to the back of the store when someone bought a new one) all places like that  and then if you can find one and it has a good drum (a lot of samsung machines even over the years really do share a lot of the same drums which is good) then either take the complete good drum out and put it in your machine or if the control panel etc on the other machine has gone kaput , put your panel from the machine onto the other machine (if it physically fits and same design with same connector(s) etc and then make up one good machine if you get my meaning . - as I say though I dont know your expertise in this kind of thing or if it is something you would even attempt as such - See what Samsung say about your one you could and take it from there.