Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WASHER SEAL FAULT

(Topic created on: 28-02-2023 05:20 PM)
Maggz
Explorer
Options

Seal has broken on a SAMSUNG washer less than 6 months old. Advised not under warranty as its a perishable,  would not expect it to have perished so soon surely.

I paid upwards of £600 now they want me to pay a few hundred of my own money to have to repaired  my washing machine is useless as water empties from it flooding my kitchen when the seal has torn.

Surely it should withstand being loaded and uploaded I have had other brands with no issues. SAMSUNG is suppose to be a well made product not at the cheaper end of the market

How many people need to complain before it's taken as a manufacturing fault. My friends have checked online and seen thus is a recurring issue.

20220218_162106.jpg

219 REPLIES 219
Prosecco2
Explorer
Options

Good idea.  I'll certainly put my name on any list that goes to BBC Watchdog, and will try emailing them now!

andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

@Prosecco2 wrote:

They are totally aware of the issues with the seals and this is why they're no longer covered on the warranty.  I complained to the Customer Service Manager and he said he would raise my complaint with the manufacturing department.   I don't believe he had any intention of doing so and just wanted me off the phone!  

-------------------------------------------

I wish i was a lawyer or had some legal education. i am sure there are implications for knowingly knowing about something and covering it up . 

Its a bit like of the law you are breaking if you sold a used car knowingly it had a problem and not letting the buyer know about those problems - you have to by law .

so if its proved Samsung are well aware of this manufacturing fault with the materials of the door gasket ... and saying they are not aware or are not addressing it , then I think they could be treading on very treacherous waters 

Lukesshenry
First Poster
Options

Had the same issue with the same tear in the same place.

Been on numerous calls with Samsung saying they want to charge £130 ( a 3rd of the cost of the machine) to repair it. It seems like its a common fault and if you look at the back of the door there a plastic square that looks like it's probably causing the damage catching the seal. Massively disappointed by samsung and will definitely take the case further. 

Prosecco2
Explorer
Options

We all need to send our complaints to the Watchdog programme. Our voices need to be heard!

Prosecco2
Explorer
Options

Try and email the Watchdog team and hopefully they can put ask Samsung why this seems to be such a common problem with their machines!

MGG30
Journeyman
Options

Hi all,  Firstly a big thank you to all those who have posted before...it is much appreciated.

Groundhog day ... Piece of rubber seal torn from bottom of seal just like others have posted. 

My machine is 18 months old and Samsung are saying that replacing the rubber seal is not covered by the warranty. 

It seems obvious it is a design flaw. 

The wide rubber seal allows clothing to fall in during the wash and get trapped.  If it is the end of an arm or leg, in the spin cycle the trapped clothing can also get dragged around the inside of the rubber seal creating damage. 

In my case, an expensive pair of thermals (ankle piece)  got caught, and was "strangled" into a knotted ball by the machine before ripping the bottom piece of rubber from the seal.  It was definitely loaded correctly as we have to double check as socks seem to get trapped in the seal regularly during the wash cycle.

Samsung are saying that it is normal wear and tear.  Despite mentioning this forum, the Consumer Right Act 2015 Section 2a (not fit for purpose) and section 3e (durability) they still wanted me to pay for an engineer to fit a new seal or repair it myself. 

Currys customer service and online (Big Box team) also said that as the machine was over 12 months old it was a manufacturer duty for repair or replacement.

I told Curries and Samsung that I would be initiating  a Charge Back Claim via my Credit Card as the machine was not fit for purpose and I was not prepared to pay for a engineer visit /replacement seal that might have the same problem.  I referred them to this Samsung Forum but they did not want the details.

I will let you know how my claim goes.

Regards to all.... 

andy_in_ireland
Helping Hand
Options

i hate this wide door gasket design on the samsung , our older Hotpoint washing machine (bought 2012) didnt have a wide distance like this between metal inner drum and glass door bowl , and so consequently nothing got caught on the gasket when it washed or spun, or if it did on a very rare occasion, the sock or whatever it was just fell back into the drum and carried on , but on the samsung washer had a few times where a sock or underwear has got stuck on the grey rubber gasket and not fall back into the drum. 
Now, for that reason they most probably will say thats why they say put those small items like socks etc into a net type wash bag you can get for washing machines, but if you are talking large items getting caught in that area then that is strange indeed, plus to rip the bottom seal at the bottom of the glass door bowl i would have thought that you would have to have the said item 'wedged' between the door bowl and rubber door gasket for that to happen. 

0 Likes
Prosecco2
Explorer
Options

I would definitely be interested to see how you get on please.  Never had an issue with my old Samsung washing machine (which I had for 15 years), but I did think it strange that a sock would always be lodged in the door seal and I would have to fish it out, sopping wet!  I couldn't be bothered getting the door fixed through Samsung, given that the cost of the repair represented almost 50% of what was paid for the machine only 6 months ago.  I therefore took out an insurance policy with Domestic and General which covers all parts on my washing machine. Yes, it's £6.00 a month but if the seal fails again (like so many others on here) then I know it will be covered.

Good Luck!

0 Likes
Disapointed
Navigator
Options

Send a letter before legal action to the retailer you can take action up to 6 years against them also see durability.   Please post in other places off this site as this site is a PR containment site. From my experience this is an inherent fault.

0 Likes
Marion323
Student
Options

I have the same exact issue I did nothing my machine is less than 6 months old and this happened.  I had a whirlpool front loader for over 20 years and never had an issue with the seal or machine.  I’m sorry I purchased the Samsung, I found out family and friends who have this machine had the same issue and it was covered.  I wash 2to 3 loads a weeks so there isn’t much ware on it for this to happen 

0 Likes