Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Tumble dryer keeps telling me to clean heat exchanger

(Topic created on: 17-01-2022 04:06 PM)
RCully
Apprentice
Options

I have a DV90T.... model tumble dryer which tells me the cycle is complete by sending a message to my iPhone

Every time a message arrives, a second one arrives telling me to clean the heat exchanger - which I have done many times with the supplied brush and also a vacuum cleaner.

But the messages keep on coming.  Any ideas?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

How to clean the heat exchanger on a dryer

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/home-appliances/how-to-clean-the-heat-exchanger-on-a-dryer/

Have tried
Turning off dryer
Unplug it
For about a minute
Plug in and turn on dryer

I believe the messages
Are preset as reminders

View solution in context

12 REPLIES 12
Solution
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

How to clean the heat exchanger on a dryer

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/home-appliances/how-to-clean-the-heat-exchanger-on-a-dryer/

Have tried
Turning off dryer
Unplug it
For about a minute
Plug in and turn on dryer

I believe the messages
Are preset as reminders
RCully
Apprentice
Options

Steveuk, Thanks for quick response.  I had already cleaned the heat exchanger as described in the instructions but what I hadn't done is the old trick of turning off and on.

This has done the trick (and, by the way, the warning only comes on when it is necessary to do it).

Thanks again

Simon Hume
First Poster
Options

Hello....I have the same problem....The message never clears.....I have cleaned it as set out and also unplugged it for more than five minutes....When I plug it back in the same message appears every time I use it.....What else do you suggest?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Simon Hume: Please can you confirm the model number of your tumble dryer? Are you getting a reminder via the SmartThings app to clean the heat exchanger? If so, are you also seeing an error code on the machine's display? I understand that you have already tried to clean the heat exchanger, however please can you have another go, and refer to the steps in the link below to see if the issue persists?

If the problem persists, please reach out to our Help Desk via the channels referenced in the following link, and an advisor will be able to arrange an engineers inspection.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/contact/

0 Likes
Simon Hume
First Poster
Options

Samsung Series 5+ OptimalDry™ DV90T5240AW Wifi Connected 9Kg Heat Pump Tumble Dryer - White - A+++ Rated

The reminder is on the machine and also comes up on the smart up as well as the Fridge.

Every time it is switched on. I have tried again twice over the weekend and even though you tap the dryer to say it is cleaned, it still asks  the next time you switch it on.

0 Likes
Paul_Lich
Student
Options

We tried all of the above and nothing cleared the annoying message even though we have cleaned the filter many times - We eventually SOLVED this yesterday.

On the screen that tells you to clean the filter and tap O - Dont just tap O because by default it means you are selecting to do it later (see the screen) - Rotate the selector dial once to the right to say OK and then press O - The message disappears and doesn't come back.

RCully
Apprentice
Options

Paul,  Well done for spotting this - it has obviously caused annoyance for many users.

Hopefully, Samsung will take note of this and amend the software so this operation is easier to follow - and reduce the number of 'helps' on this forum.

0 Likes
Judith G
First Poster
Options

Thank you!  Pulling out the dryer to unplug it was not an option every month.  Weirdly I thought I’d done this at one point but anyway we now have no message so cheers.

0 Likes
Redcoat1812
Student
Options

It could be the pre programmed reminders OR more probably is the fact that the gunk you clean with the brush is caked behind those fins and is decreasing performance resulting in the message via the app or phone. Its a design flaw from what I can see. The brush does very little to combat it as it doesn't reach far enough (sludge builds up creating water drainage issues and there sre two heat exchanger units behind there so no doubt your machine could be caked if you can't see the other metal exchanger parts behind the front fins) and many heat pump dryers including samsung can have additional foam filter s to reduce the likelihood of this issue . Impossible to clean without a complete tear down. 

I'm currently having this happen with my 2 year old machine DV90T8240SH/S1 that I've kept clean, I'll let you know how I get on with samsung customer service 

0 Likes