Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sumsung heat pump dryer door

(Topic created on: 19-10-2022 05:01 PM)
Kezra
Student
Options

Good day,

I’m new here and joined as the Samsung help/warranty people suggested I should Post my idea here.

Over a year ago I bought a Samsung heat pump tumble dryer and within a few weeks the peg on the door, used to activate the door closed switch, snapped off. In my opinion, this failure was caused by the fact that the peg is made of plastic and does not align with the hole in the metal casing of the dryer.

As the door is closed, the peg, rather than entering the hole to activate the switch, actually catches the bottom of the hole and is then forced up into the switch. This works for some time until the plastic peg eventually snaps. I had a replacement door fitted under warranty and I mentioned the misalignment to the engineer who installed the door and he said there was no way of adjusting it.

Needless to say, several weeks later the new door failed in the same way. I decided to repair the door myself and glued the peg to the door followed by augmenting the joint with Milliput epoxy modelling clay.

My repaired door has now been operating, without issue, for over a year.

My suggestion to Samsung is a redesign of the door to either allow for adjustment or strengthen the peg. I do not believe that The peg is fit for purpose if the door is misaligned.

I have attached two images. The first one is a picture of the peg prior to it failing and the second one is a picture of my repair using Milliput that has, so far, stood the test of time.

EEF7472F-9384-40D0-B5DD-F3A056C9E4A2.png

8B258998-E111-40E0-BDBD-F45FADB0A362.jpeg

3 REPLIES 3
Jayne2
First Poster
Options

Good idea.  Mine as snapped off aswell, and had a nightmare talking to their customer services so in the end a handyman came and fixed something on the door to make sure it pushes the switch.   This is now not working as I think the switch has broken,

Terrible design feature for an expensive item.

Kezra
Student
Options

I’m sorry to read that your dryer door switch has malfunctioned and I’m disappointed that Samsung don’t seem to take on board the need to improve this functionality. 
The design of the door closed sensor is not robust enough. Or it suggests that when aligned at the factory, the quality control is poor. 
There are other methods of sensing that the door is closed but they would most likely be more expensive.

That said, the heat pump tumble dryer is an expensive item and the mechanism should be stronger or properly aligned. 
I hope you get your door fixed. Good luck!

0 Likes
Distresseduser
First Poster
Options

Thank you for your tips, mine has broken for the second time and Samsung want me to pay for a new door.  Why should I when it is clearly a design fault.  I will look at trying your milliput suggestion, I will not be buying another Samsung dryer that's not fit for purpose.

0 Likes