Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung RB31FDRNDSA compressor noise

(Topic created on: 06-07-2020 08:12 PM)
shuff01
First Poster
Options

Hi there,

I purchased a Samsung RB31FDRNDSA a week a go that was delivered to me on Thursday 7th September. The delivery driver advised me that I should let the fridge stand for 4 hours before switching on to let the gases settle. To air on the side of caution I let the fridge stand till the following morning, some 18 hours.

When I switched the new fridge on I was surprised by the noise the compressor makes, I thought maybe this is due to heavy loads on the compressor as it tries to bring the internal temps of the fridge and freezer down. 

Three days on and the noise is still as loud, thankfully the compressor is no longer running continuously but when it fire up the noise is quite bad.

There is a high pitched electrical noise and also a noise from inside the compressor that sounds like a defective bearing or something. 

I have of course checked that the fridge is level and that nothing is fouling at the rear of the fridge. Surely this noise is not normal? How can a product costing this much claiming to be the next best greatest thing be more noisy than the failing Indesit it hs replaced????

0 Likes
31 REPLIES 31
digisci
Apprentice
Options

I'm also experiencing this same high pitched noise when the compressor is running. I purchased this fridge brand new a few days ago, and usually I don't go online to complain about products, but this high pitched noise is unbearble. It's almost like having constant tinitus (ringing in your ears) the whole time. At first it doesn't seem too bad, but spending a few hours in the same room as the fridge the sound gets to you after a while. It's like a very high frequency sound. Other than that the fridge looks great and works as it should, just the sound it makes is making me nuts, and I'm seriously considering returning this fridge and going with another brand so I get my sanitiy back. 

knuck
Student
Options

Was a real dissapointment when now after 2 years the noise level of motor still crazy loud. I gave my 10 year old GE cafe model to my daughter, said she would trade and maybe I will as it was silent runner.  Just wish there was a cure as pushing on the side when i can't stand it is old.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

this fridge has permanently damaged my hearing the subsonic noise i thought was tenitus until i turned my head oneday and realised it didnt move has actually cause me physical harm. it kicks in once or twice a day so on an average day i assume i had missed it anyway i now have less hearing

i am seeking compensation so if i can get amessage back that would be great calling in tommorow

mtb25
Apprentice
Options

Anyone got any more updates on how Samsung have been handling this? 

Got this fridge delivered 3 days ago and the retailer won't let me return it because it's technically been used. Did they expect me to leave the contents of my last fridge/freezer to defrost/go warm after they took it away to make sure the new one was working as I expected?

I have to go through Samsung to get a return authorisation code now which involves them sending an engineer out. In the meantime, I'm probably going to move this brand new fridge out of my living room/kitchen to save my sanity.

I honestly hope that it is a fault that they now know how to fix because if it isn't I feel like I'm going to have a battle to get it returned for a fridge from a different manufacturer and I doubt I'll touch a Samsung product again. More and more I'm seeing entire ranges of Samsung products riddled with design flaws that are more or less unacknowledged by them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

it is a design flaw the metal pipe is longer than the box its housed in, it presses against the wall bending it then it rattles when running producing a high pitched noise that is so intense it can straight up damage your hearing. Bend it outwards a tiny bit and it should become less persistent atleast mine seems ok now havent heard it in a while pretty sure it has damaged my hearing though

deetswerdna
Apprentice
Options

When you say bend it back how is that done? where is it located exactly? I have the same issue its really bugging me im on with Samsung now but im worried they wont class it as a fault 😞 I cant live wth this my ear hurts

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

both sides at the back at the bottom there are pipes either side that have a gap for them to fit in 

digisci
Apprentice
Options

I'm not sure if its the pipes at the back that are rattling and causing the sound, tested this by touching each one but makes no difference. The high pitched sound is coming from inside, perhaps its the digital inverter. I had a samsung technician look at the problem in 2018 and he said he couldn't hear the sound. But its such a high frequency not everyone can hear it, depends how good your hearing is. 

The sound is worse if the fridge is on a tiled floor and open on the sides, what I did was put some foam behind the back wall to aborb some of the sound waves and minimize reverberation. I think also putting a piece of carpet under the fridge would help too. 

deetswerdna
Apprentice
Options

I just checked aswell definitely feels like its inside for sure touching no of the metal stopped it anyway 😕 since you insulated has it stopped the sound? I've sent samsung a video of it but to be honest if they can't fix it class it as a fault i may have to cut my losses and cry and get another one I doubt ill be able to return it. Ridiculous that I've spent hundreds and now i cant relax in my own living room. Complete joke. 

0 Likes
digisci
Apprentice
Options

I think I'm in similar situation to you because my living room and kitchen is open plan. Plus tiled throughout so the sound travels. It's only noticeable at night when it quiet. But my right ear is ringing now after listening up close to it so its definitely not good for your hearing. I would say the foam trick helped reduce the sound by 50%. Just dont cover the hole at the back completely as it gets warm there and needs ventilation. About 10cm gap would be ok I think.