Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung f/freezer missing rear ventilation grille

(Topic created on: 10-12-2020 05:14 PM)
Heehog
Explorer
Options

Hi, can anyone confirm please? 

Does your Samsung fridge/freezer have a full top-to-bottom covering at the rear?  Ours was delivered with the lower rear ventilation grille missing, leaving a large approx 10" high gaping hole at the lower rear, exposing the compressor(?) and bits of cable/pipework.  See picture.  Missing lower grille.jpg

The pictures  of our model on Samsung's website show this grille in place, but Samsung UK help desk staff insist that it's safe to use without and that this grille is not provided in the UK, despite their website pictures.  

I'm not convinced, so I was hoping to hear from others whether their story holds water. 

Is it truly safe to use like this?  I've noticed that small pipe on the right hand side can get VERY hot.  

Model is RB34T602ESA/EU, but we now regret buying a Samsung as we're concerned about the fire risk.  If their website shows a covering grille in place,  it must be there for a reason. 

Impossible to speak to our retailer Currys, as they've auto-diverted their phones direct to Samsung's help desk, but that's a separate issue.

Does anyone else's fridge/freezer look like this? 

Advice appreciated, thank you.  

76 REPLIES 76
jaydee5
Explorer
Options

Are you having a replacement today FlossyT?

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

it's not worth it Jadee, they'll all have the back missing. I have to decide whether I want to replace it or choose a different model. I'm still trying to find out about this hole. There was a dried lump of the strange smelling material inside in the bottom of the fridge where the motor is. I thought it was popcorn at first glance, looked just like it, & the silver foil a yoghurt top lol, until closer inspection. Can you tell me if your model has the hole covered please Jaydee? I've added a photo of it with the hanging off foil bent back so you can see what it actually was meant to cover. 

IMG_8818.JPG

jaydee5
Explorer
Options

The hole is covered by the foil, but one part of it is peeling back FlossyT.  I noticed that part way up the  back of mine the foam that insulates the fridge has leaked out of back plate seam.

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

Oh my goodness how shabby! I have sticky beige coloured goo leaking from the hinge side of the fridge door base. We should photograph all this jaydee.

I definitely thinking more & more that these models were repaired due to design fault & so cheaper.

I've noticed that on both Samsung sales & Argos that as soon as I purchased my item it didn't allow for me to get back into the sales page. I had to login as a guest on Argos. fortunately I'd screenshot the page.

I had a hearty discount of about £190 off the price & assumed it a Black Friday sale item. This seemed confirmed because the price went back up again. I assumed that was the case. Now the item isn't available on Samsung & what is suspicious is that as soon as the offer ended they upped the price & became out of stock on Samsung - & on Argos the new raised-back-up item on Argos became unavailable for my postcode. It sounds like the model was being sold off cheap for some reason.

I admit I'm a cynic & if something is cheap I want to know why. The fact that I got this discount will be the only reason I consider keeping it. I did this with a used washing machine I was sent from Argos (meant to be brand new) & have always regretted it. I believe the water heating element has never worked but can't tell as the door has an outer shell which prevents feeling the window. I pause stopped the machine between washes many times to check for laundry being washed at the selected heat but it's always freezing cold. It's cold wash only has prevented the terrible limescale we get as it only cold washes. So after 5 years it's still going. Due to long cycles it always gets clothes clean even if they're not germ free.

At least our fridge freezer models seem the same regarding the foil. I wonder if they needed to change or re add the insulation foam in that foil covered hole & the white daub paint is a mark to show when a unit is updated.

My unit had been stood out in rain too without a box cover. I can tell as the metal square on the top has raindrop residue all over.

Image of the gunk around the hinge.

As heehog mentioned, the Grenfell tower tragedy. In my opinion It's a worry purchasing an electrical appliance for your home when we know the dangers they carry. Especially when no clear answers are being given to us.

Gunk on door hingeGunk on door hinge

jaydee5
Explorer
Options

Jeez, what a mess!!  Yeah, I got mine in the 'Black Friday Deal' load of cobblers to be honest as it was the same price a week later on AO.  Irrespective of the price, this should be the model we purchased, fully enclosed back & no leaky gunk from anywhere!  They should either supply the grill with fittings, replace with a model with a fully enclosed back (minus gunk) even if more expensive or give a significant reimbursement of cost with written assurance that it fully complies with UK legislation!  

jaydee5
Explorer
Options

P.S. meant grille, we don't want them sending a grill lol mines perfectly fine

jaydee5
Explorer
Options

P.P.S. forgot to say, that looks like hinge lubricant - put on by someone who clearly needs to wear glasses

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

LOL yes!  There's enough lubricant for a consignment of couple hundred fridges.

Totally agree with all you say!!

Also I purchased day 'before' black friday because I got my days mixed up on Argos & they had Black Friday Offers plastered everywhere. Wouldn't have made a difference because they sold out black friday, I think they may be sold out of these in most shops now. They just show it at a higher price so we believe we got a bargain & won't return out incomplete units.

I went to Appliance direct to purchase a fridge freezer originally & liked it there then found it so much cheaper at Samsung online & Argos though. Appliance Direct were still asking £629 PLUS £25 old fridge removal.

Marks electrical seemed cheap priced BUT said it was £60 for a flight of stairs & extra for more stairs LOL I said "well I'll mention that on trustpilot"

He said on website its £30 extra if 2 man needed LOL  I told him how could a single person legally manage to deliver that fridge freezer without hurting himself or damaging item & surroundings?  So that's why he said £60 for the stairs, he was angry about me implying aren't 2 men always needed?... so the extra £30 for the second man is just rubbish. Hidden costs at Marks electrical, The name implies its M & S plus website colours.

Oh & Jaydee & Heehog I've noticed at least 2 feedbacks complaining of these being very loud. I have to say even without my much wanted motor cover, mine is practically silent. Gentle whirr when something is added, but other than that silence.

I swore I wouldn't purchase from Argos again after the washing machine drama but they've been good at responding & assigned me a personal person on facebook messenger.

If facebook is good for anything, it's the fast responses from online stores. Samsung too have been responding although they want me to speak to 'Home appliance team' ... I tried & got a person whose face was all mask & muffled sound plus he couldn't hear me so it was a useless route. Was very creepy to be honest a loud mumbling mask filling my screen LOL.

jaydee5
Explorer
Options

Hi Heehog, where are you at with your fridge freezer currently as your 'enquiry' has been marked as solved?  I know you have contacted Which. Are you still chasing Curry's & Samsung? 

FlossyT
Pioneer
Options

Jaydee just to keep everyone updated I have done as facebook Samsung asked & contacted Samsung online chat just now.

The representative has taken all the information & photo's & ordered me the part giving me a reference number.

I explained we didn't want to be told "its fine to use without the plate" & that I, for one, wanted the plate cover I paid for. I'm hoping I won't receive the same old chestnut "oh its ok use it without " Because I want that cover. 

I removed half a dozen feathers today & caused another bout of sciatica pulling the unit from its space in order to get to the back. I purchased a fridge freezer that states 'vacuuming twice a year will be adequate due to the protective fully covered back'

Yes it would if the plate was on. So I now have a doctors appointment this evening for pain medication for the sciatica.

At my age & living alone I could do without having to keep pulling the unit out.

I think we may need to start a new thread Jaydee as this one is closed.