Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rusty Freezer Door - help!

(Topic created on: 21-08-2017 07:42 PM)
AJ1
Student
Options

Hi,

I'm all new to this but struggling to find answers elsewhere so thought I'd try here...

My RSE8DZAS American Fridge Freezer is approaching ten years old but going strong. Annoyingly, where the water dispenser surround meets they metal door skin, rust has started to form. Internet search for new/secondhand Freezer door has drawn a blank so I have stripped out the dispenser as much as I am able to investigate further. The rust is pretty bad and I can't  see how I would get behind the back plate of the dispenser. I can't seem to be able to remove it from the front of the door and I have no idea if it is possible to separate the inner and outer door skins. If I could do that then the I'd stand a chance of solving the rust issue on the metal door skin from both inside and out, otherwise it's just going to continue. 

There is no water leak I can see, observation suggests moisture in air meeting cold from Freezer is causing the issue...

If there's anyone out there that has solved a similar issue I'd certainly appreciate some advice-

replace door

or

remove the inner section of water dispenser to get to both inner and outer rusted surfaces

or

strip door into inner and outer panels and make good the rust

or

sell kidney and buy new fridge that doesn't fit the gap-redesign kitchen around fridge...!

Thanks all

4 REPLIES 4
Hayleyroper81
First Poster
Options

Hi i was wondering if this was ever sorted because my American fridge freezer has done the same and looks an eye sore 

0 Likes
AJ1
Student
Options

Hi,

I never got an answer unfortunately. In the end I removed the plastic surround and treated the rust with special paint from screwfix. I then sanded it down to make it as smooth as possible. Next I bought some black fablon from hobby craft. I traced around the plastic surround and added about 2 cm all around it to make essentially a black border sticker that completely covered all the rust once the grey surround was placed back on.

Not sure if that helps but it looked really good, not bodged at all. Was good for another 3 years until the freezer gave up completely.

Good luck

0 Likes
Biddyjen
First Poster
Options

This same problem has happened mine. Did you ever get yours sorted? 

0 Likes
Hails81
First Poster
Options
Hi
No i didn't was told to buy a new door!
0 Likes