Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rust on back of fridge caused damage

(Topic created on: 14-04-2022 10:18 PM)
vanastr
First Poster
Options

We bought a new Samsung refrigerator about six years ago and immediately noticed condensation on the back of the unit, opposite of where the ice unit is located on the inside, was starting to rust the metal.  This area is very cold, almost as if there's no insulation between the inside and the back of the unit. I attempted to add more insulation on the outside, which solved the condensation problem, however, the ice maker then froze up inside so I had to remove it.  Having forgotten about the problem, I recently pulled the fridge out and found that the rust from the condensation had damaged the floor and wall from dripping so badly during humid weather.   This is very frustrating and I wouldn't expect issues like this.  Has anyone else had this problem?    

RF263BEAESG Rust.jpg 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Consumer
First Poster
Options

I purchase my Samsung French door refrigerator in 2017. Ruined my floor and wall. Probably the last Samsung I will purchase. BF12D9C7-7494-4BCD-973E-73F601561063.jpeg

mcr1010
Student
Options

Back of  my French  3 door 32 CF frig.  Samsung would not  make good on it.   I will not be buying any more Samsung products and I told them so........not that they cared.Back of my French 3 door 32 CF frig. Samsung would not make good on it. I will not be buying any more Samsung products and I told them so........not that they cared.

Patdward
First Poster
Options

963C6844-B180-4B07-9031-949E8B18E6AA.jpeg

cannot get any satisfaction Samsung. 4 years old

0 Likes
kerryshow
First Poster
Options

I have experienced the same, I think what is best right now since Samsumg is unresponsive, is to turn off or remove the icemaker.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
akirk3
First Poster
Options

20230403_170847.jpg

 We had the same issue with our refrigerator. I received a call from a Samsung representative telling me had I called at the beginning of the year something could have been done for our refrigerator by Samsung. Obviously, that was a lie because my refrigerator is older than some others on this feed. I'm through with Samsung phones and appliances. 

0 Likes
Rusted
First Poster
Options

Yes. Same problem. Samsung sent out a new ice maker. a technician was scheduled To install. Work completed but has not affected condensation and rust problem

0 Likes
Fabes68
First Poster
Options

Hi

just noticed a sweat spot today as i removed the fridge out of recess.

BY CHANCE I caught the start of it. will ask tech as  calling one out to deal with ice maker failure for second time.

IMG_9612.jpegIMG_5257.jpegIMG_9613.jpeg

Samsung fridge SRF890SWLS.

0 Likes
mcr1010
Student
Options

Since Samsung will not offer any help on the rust problem, I found a fix that should hold up ok.  Here is what I did.  

Removed all the rust down to bare metal and thru the back cover.  Then used some 6" wide Eternabond tape I had left over from my RV days to cover the holes and rust.  Eternabond tape is a peel and stick fairly thick rubber tape which comes in various widths and lengths.  Once it is applied, it most likely will never come off.  

An alternative to the Eternabond tape would be this tape from Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gardner-Rubber-Flexx-0-3-ft-W-x-10-ft-L-3-sq-ft-White-Roll-Roofing/10005515...

I like the Eternabond tape though, as it will have more insulating ability than the other tape.  You can get Eternabond from most any RV store or on the web.

0 Likes
Rollinscare
First Poster
Options

F47C0A11-4883-4266-8C3D-747BBCA56C6F.jpeg

0 Likes