Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF56J9040SR won’t make ice

(Topic created on: 30-05-2020 03:37 PM)
Cornered
Journeyman
Options

I have an RF56J9040SR that has just presented this problem 1 month after the warranty has expired !
From reading other forums and watching you tube there are literally HUNDREDS of people reporting this as a recurring problem with this feature across multiple Samsung appliances. Apparently it may be caused (or was in my case) by the ice box feature freezing up so there was actually no ice in the box because the delivery is frozen up. The USA info shows a ‘force defrost’ sequence to assist dealing with this however I cannot find any EU equivalent info at all. We have just emptied the fridge, turned off the power and manually defrosted the box ourselves. Would be great if Samsung would provide this information but they seem surprisingly reluctant.

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Cornered 

Are you still having this issue with your Fridge Freezer?

0 Likes
Cornered
Journeyman
Options

After thorough defrost and using a usb inspection camera and a hairdryer on cool (there was still ice blocking the inside of the delivery channel) ice maker is back to normal.

Can you advise if there is a 'force defrost' function that would make this process significantly easier?

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

I have had a look into this and it appears that your appliance is frost-free, which means there is no need to manually defrost your appliance, as this will be carried out automatically as stated on the manual, found here. 

I can also see that is not recommendable to use any mechanical devices to accelerate this. 

0 Likes
FlorieJoy
Samsung Helper
Options
Thankyou helpful info
0 Likes
Cornered
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for your response - can you advise why it is freezing up in the first place then and how to defrost it ??

Consumer_rights
Student
Options

@Concerned

And then the moderator got silent on that hard to answer question that thousands of owners experience here in Europe.

By the way, EU consumer law of 2 year is the minimal time span. Depending on the expected life and price of the purchase. See EU consumer rights.  

0 Likes
GlennPsion
Explorer
Options

"The USA info shows a ‘force defrost’ sequence to assist dealing with this however I cannot find any EU equivalent info at all.":

I am in Europe (UK) and have MODEL: RF56J9040SR
I first started having ice compartment issues 8 months after purchase: January 2019.
Samsung contract engineer came round, replaced a bunch of stuff in the ice compartment and updated the software and said this is a well known issue and he does this fix on 100's a month.
2 years 8 months later ice compartment starts to freeze back up.
Hopefully, now forced defrosted and dried, I wont have this issue for another few years!

Forced Defrost:
See these videos and notes:

I would switch to 'ice maker off' first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0GhOmkGeC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUh9Xw2-4f4

Take out ice bucket
Hold "Freezer" + "Cool Select" for 10 sec then let go
THEN PRESS "Cool Select" again.
FF appears on left and symbols on right
Keep hitting "Cool Select" until Fd appears: Forced Defrost on the right
Will start beeping - - -20 minutes. Ice will melt.
Have cloth or container in ice making compartment.
Repeat if not fully defrosted . . .check very back.
Repeated times might finish quicker

0 Likes