Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF56J9040SR Ice maker frozen solid, won’t work

(Topic created on: 01-06-2021 10:56 PM)
Cornered
Journeyman
Options

So, I originally posted this on 18/04/20 in response to someone else's problems with their ice maker.
I have an RF56J9040SR that has just presented this problem 1 month after the warranty has expired !
From reading other forums and watching you tube there are literally HUNDREDS of people reporting this as a recurring problem with this feature across multiple Samsung appliances. Apparently it may be caused (or was in my case) by the ice box feature freezing up so there was actually no ice in the box because the delivery is frozen up. The USA info shows a ‘force defrost’ sequence to assist dealing with this however I cannot find any EU equivalent info at all. We have just emptied the fridge, turned off the power and manually defrosted the box ourselves. Would be great if Samsung would provide this information but they seem surprisingly reluctant.

26 REPLIES 26
maisbrough
Student
Options

'Which' magazine may be willing to support this. 

0 Likes
NoIceForMe
Apprentice
Options

I am having the same issue, repeatedly.  Having used Samsung's online chat and called them, all I am told is that we need to pay for an engineers visit to fix this. 

Has anyone called out an engineer?  I am assuming an engineer can't fix this? 

0 Likes
frozen1
First Poster
Options

I own the model RF56J9041SR and have the same problem with my icemaker. Before my guarantee ran out Samsung came and replaced it but did not give a guarantee on the new icemaker. The new icemaker was/is as bad as the first one. After about two weeks, the ice builds up on the side and cannot drop into the dispenser (a real design fault). I have been documenting this every time it happens..  and am adding one of my photos to see if everyone here has the same issue. I've become an expert in getting rid of the ice buildup.. hot water and occasionally a hair dryer. It usually works again for 2-3 weeks and then I get the same buildup. FRUSTRATING. Did it again yesterday and this time the ice making has not started again even tho I have reset  the icemaker (with the button you push and wait for the chime). I have also turned it on and off on the door. Nothing is making it work now.  I know there has been a class action suit in the US and a lawyer friend looked into it and found it is only good for the refrigerators in the states. He said sometimes it is international but not this particular lawsuit.  Anyone know a class action lawyer in Europe that can make a case for all of us with these issues? And does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get the icemaker working again? Thanks.    

frozen icemaker.jpg

0 Likes
NoIceForMe
Apprentice
Options

This is the same issue as I am having, it requires constant defrosting and we have now had to turn the ice maker off, which for a machine costing over £2000 I find unacceptable and renders the machine 'not fit for purpose'.

Samsung have suggested, on their 'chat' that I scrap the machine for a 25% loyalty discount off a new machine from them, which indicates this is a fault that they can not fix.  My machine is only 3 1/2 years old and it has a 10 year compressor warranty, so they must have an expected live of c15 years.

Reading the buyers feedback on Samsung's website on the machine's purchase page re the machine there are a lot of owners with this issue.

I note on the US website that if you have this issue and have a 'smart' fridge you can connect it to Samsung for a software update, so it is clearly a known design fault.

Samsung are also telling me call out an engineer, reading the above you have confirmed by view that this is pointless.

I think the Consumer Association legal service might be my next step to understand the law here.

0 Likes
GlennPsion
Explorer
Options

Bought mine in Curry's, UK, January 2019. By September ran into issue with ice compartment continually freezing up.
Under warranty with Samsung, organised technician/engineer after mentioning the class action Law suite for similar fridges in the US:
https://www.classaction.org/samsung-refrigerator-ice-maker-lawsuit
https://www.classaction.org/blog/looking-for-updates-on-the-samsung-ice-maker-lawsuit-heres-everythi...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrloHZis2NM

The fix is complex (replacement part, software upgrade, drip clips).
Engineer was 'shy' about the class action lawsuit in the USA.
After the fix in October 2019 (Engineer said I will absolutely not have any more issues .. he knows something) has been fine ever since. Now 1 year 3 months on and NO SIGNS of freezing up in Ice compartment.

You should not have to do any of this defrosting nonsense.

It probably isn't just this particular model.

UK should start a class-action.

PC World Currys should investigate this more and deal with Samsung.

JP70
First Poster
Options

Having had the same issue with model RF24FSEDBSR and the warranty having expired the cost to fix is £250 + VAT with reports from the engineer that this fix only works 60% of the time. Samsung's answer to this was to offer me 25% of a new purchase even though they are aware of the issue and have been for many years.

My only recommendation is don't but Samsung again.

0 Likes
stevvieboi
Journeyman
Options

We have a rf24fsedbsr problems from day one and now ao and Samsung have washed their hands off not even 3 years old and the fault the engineer found is a manufacturer fault in the insulation, rendering it fit only for the scrap heap, has broke down twice food lost in both freezer and fridge, they are not fit for purpose and my next action is court action 

0 Likes
stevvieboi
Journeyman
Options

I have messaged BBC watchdog through Facebook hope they pic up on this 

0 Likes
stevvieboi
Journeyman
Options

I have the same model broke down within a year, Samsung washed its hands off it, not even 3 years old paid for an engineers report and it's only fit for the scrap heap due to a manufacturer defect with the insulation 

0 Likes
NoIceForMe
Apprentice
Options

I actually think redress is via the Consumer Association (ie Which) legal service.  I have found they give very good advice for their subscription fee and this would have been my course of action, however, after chasing Samsung directly via DMs on Twitter and offering to write to their UK Head of Product (name and office address is available via LinkedIn) mine has been fixed and is currently still working.  

Whilst I am obviously pleased they have fixed it, I am appalled at the process I have had to go through and the complete lack of customer service I have had to deal with.  Samsung do not openly acknowledge in the UK the product is faulty and offer to fix them, which they should be ashamed of.  The engineer said it was a known problem and Samsung has a standard fix for it.

The call centre / chat service is shameful and Samsung should be embarrassed about this service offering, all they do is go through a checklist and then suggest you scrap the machine for a 25% discount on another product.  There is zero customer service here and I don't see how this meets environmental standards. 

There is also new 'right to repair' legislation coming in which will mean that Samsung have to provide the information for users to fix their own machines, this may be an option as a last resort as it didn't look like a huge fix.